Sad that Denon beat Sony to this considering they are responsible 2:3 of the formats

Grand Enigma

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still do. I'm too cheap to shell out for a Universal that will cover my bases.

Then you deserve to suffer! ;)

By the way, it looks like the U.S. MSRP on that Denon is going to be $3,800 -- same as the current 5910 -- which is a little more realistic than the previously-quoted number. This would be a nice-looking HT stack...

12-3-08-dvd-a1ud_black.jpg

AVPA1HDCI_Front_G.gif

POAA1HDCI_Front_G.gif

Does anyone really care about DVD-A?

Based on my experience with DVD-A discs on the Exemplar 2900 and 5910, I sorely miss DVD-A. I don't know why but the DVD-A on both of my Denons are better sounding than the SACD counterpart. I mentioned this to John Tucker and he also agreed with my findings. After recieving the Exemplar 5910 three weeks ago, I am now buying DVD-As as well. The "Hotel California" DVD-As album is incredible sounding on the 5910.

I wonder if Exemplar will be able to mod the new player. Does the 5910 keep its video functionality after surgery?

It should. I can connect the 5910 to my plasma and report back. I believe John only worked on 2 channel modification mods on the 5910. The Denon 5910 has a dedicated two channel playback circuit, which seperates it from the multi-channel playback. I sure hope John continues his work on the Denon units as his 5910 is the best sounding digital frontend that I've tried. Also, I hope that the added on Blueray function will not hamper the two channel playback performance of the DVD-A1UD.

I don't know why but the DVD-A on both of my Denons are better sounding than the SACD counterpart. I mentioned this to John Tucker and he also agreed with my findings.

Makes sense actually since the Denon's are converting sacd's dsd to pcm and dvd-a is native pcm...

Does anyone really care about DVD-A?
I do, too. I mean, don't get me wrong -- I'm realistic, I'm not exactly scouring the web for new DVD-A releases. But if given a choice between mostly universal and completely universal, all other things being equal, I'll choose completely universal. I do have a small collection. There's no excuse to have the transport that can handle DVD/SACD, the DAC that can handle high-rate PCM (Blu-Ray), and not implement DVD-A. If Sony won't do it, there's always an Oppo or a LG or Denon that will.