HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need to remember that most people on headfi don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

and the people who have heard the phone most certainly do. its going to be a great piece of gear, I have no doubt. and true greatness can't be over hyped.

Oh, ho... maybe if you have the right amp, but it has already cost me another $1500 in amp parts, and I might plunk another $2000 if that isn't enough (especially since the $2000 is a known path - the $1500 was a flyer).

And I have an aftermarket cable at the ready, so we'll see if it is better than the $163 stock cable, of which I have ordered a spare...

Oh, ho... maybe if you have the right amp, but it has already cost me another $1500 in amp parts, and I might plunk another $2000 if that isn't enough (especially since the $2000 is a known path - the $1500 was a flyer).

And I have an aftermarket cable at the ready, so we'll see if it is better than the $163 stock cable, of which I have ordered a spare...

Your a wild man Al. I like it :)

Not in that way:palm:

P.s. Pete's unnecessarily complex 300b is still available (or was when I last felt like drooling like my daughter) and would be cheaper than your Raven project.

Hmmm I think I might need something unnecessarily complex. Do tell?

• 2 weeks later...
Al, you're straight crazy.

P.s. Pete's unnecessarily complex 300b is still available (or was when I last felt like drooling like my daughter) and would be cheaper than your Raven project.

Nope, per Pete the Tango iron by itself was $1000, and the 300b probably at least $300, then all the other naughty bits about $400 ish, leading me to guess he has at least $1700 in it, with no accounting for design or labor (sadly).

Nope, busy chasing 307a, 7w7 and 5v4, and looking at James OPT and Power, One-Electron (choke), and Sescom (interstage) iron. Maybe 83 or 866 if I can find them reasonably to cook mercury into vapor.

There is, and can be, only one.

But, Naaman, the 300b can be found on Pete's site: Unnecessarily complex 300B amp

I'm confused about the 300B. Its a headphone amp without a headphone jack? At least I can't see a headphone jack in the pictures.

Yeah, Pete had the speaker outs feeding a patch into the k1000, so... dunno... think I also listened to it with my hd600 (this was back in January), and don't remember if he had a pre in the chain or not - can't tell from my pics.

002.JPG