HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

Ok, so some very initial impressions....

The phones fit nicely on the head, not too snug. You won't want to be moving around too much with these on if it is warm, pads are warmish, that is, they heat up the ear area for me.

My first thoughts are that this is a "nice" headphone which means to me that it is fun and warm, the basic Sennheiser sound IME. They are more detailed and soundstage is larger than previous HD models, but the general flavor is still around.

Consider that I am putting them next to the R10s, HE90, SR-Omega in my mind so they have a lot to live up to. They do not have the same spot on tonality or soudstage as the R10s, not yet. Maybe they will get closer when balanced. And I definitely would like to try some different driver tubes with these, I think that will make a difference.

The bass for me is very nice, tight and not overboard, like the L3000 can be on my amp. The amount is just right for me, but I am definitely not a basshead anymore, although I thought I was at some point. When I started listening to the R10s and HE90, that changed. I like a balanced presentation, which the HD800 has. It is not as extended on the top end (as my other phones) but still gives a lot of detail/nice presentation.

Anyway, I can see myself keeping these and listening when I just want to relax and listen to music in a "fun" manner. They do provide enjoyment. I found myself smiling in the usual places when listening to my favorites.

More to follow.....

Thanks, Andy. I look forward to checking them out in the next two days.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting. Are they hotter/warmer than the other popular open headphones like the HD650, K701, DT880, RS-1, Omega II, etc? :(

Not hotter than the O2 for sure. Maybe a bit more than HD650 or K701, but it is not bad.

Thanks, Andy. I look forward to checking them out in the next two days.

I'll be there to set up around 3pm tomorrow or a bit earlier. See you there!

See the backlash is getting going already over there. HD800s now being dismissed as "gimmicky shyte" by people who have yet to hear them. Also, let the word go forth, they are bass-light (compared to Denons). :rolleyes:

Did you expect anything less? I am sure the tone deaf BarfBeyer crowd is going to be talking the biggest smack. Moar woody bass FTW :basement:

Bulllllshit. Maybe compared to the DT770, but who wants to compare anything to that.

There's a very prolific and "respected" reviewer on Head-fi that would. :P

BTW, whenever you guys have time, comparisons between HD800 and stats would be great.

It seems to me that most of the jokers who have reviewed the 800 over there so far do not have a 'stat rig. Therefore, I will throw out all of their opinions.

QFT.

I'm waiting for comparisons against the SR-007. Since the HD800 looks to be a poor choice for summer headphones, I'll only be buying a pair if I like them more than the SR-007 overall.

I have my O2MKII's (which I think Dinny is familiar with ;) ) and I'll try to do something in the way of a BHSE/O2MKII and XXX/HD800. I'd love to do it on Todd's 307A setup and may get the chance since I'm probably going to balance a pair of HD800s for Todd tomorrow morning. :)

I have my O2MKII's (which I think Dinny is familiar with ;) ) and I'll try to do something in the way of a BHSE/O2MKII and XXX/HD800. I'd love to do it on Todd's 307A setup and may get the chance since I'm probably going to balance a pair of HD800s for Todd tomorrow morning. :)

Nate, I think that's a very sound strategy. Throw a Beta22/HD800 combo in there while you're at it. You'll be my ears at CanJam!

Do you think the conductors will be difficult to strip like with the HD650 cable?

Sadly and bitterly, no. My son's 3rd Birthday won out (i.e., my wife did a number with the guilt).

sucks... I had to pass this year as well my sister decided to visit me ironically from San Jose this week...

Can't wait to read all your impressions as I'm not due to get my HD800's until late next week.

Can't wait to read your impressions. :D

Nate, I think that's a very sound strategy. Throw a Beta22/HD800 combo in there while you're at it. You'll be my ears at CanJam!

And a KGSS/O2mkII combo if you find a KGSS there. ;D

My early impressions:

Equipment: GS-X from HeadAmp.

Source: Cambridge 840c for CD and Onkyo DVSP1000 for SACD and DVD-A.

Headphones: AKG 701s with Black Dragon cables from Moon Audio and the Senns 800s simultaneously since the GS-X has two headphone jacks. Very handy. :)

Bias: I suffer buyer's guilt easily. I can feel it BEFORE I pull the trigger on something.

I'm a notorious fence sitter as well.

If I can find an excuse to get back almost $1400, believe me, I'll do it. I went in skeptical along the lines of: "How much better can these thing really be vs. what I already have?"

I found out very quickly.

Out of the box, the Senns 800s were immediately and clearly better than the 701s. No question about it. I've used the 701s a lot over the last couple of years so I know them like the back of my hand.

It was immediately noticeable and apparent and I'm someone who has been very happy with his 701s.

After a few hours of use...I couldn't take these things off...the sound was already starting to open up some more, so to speak. These cans will benefit from some warm up and burn in time but honestly...just take them out of the box and start enjoying them. :)

These are not super juggernaut sized headphones. They are more comfortable and form fitting by far than the 701s. If you're a headbanger you can go to town in these. ;)

I could easily fall asleep wearing these cans. I can't say the same for the 701s.

More bass. More dimension. More natural warmth. More of everything pretty much. More of everything I liked in the 701s. Less or almost none of the things I didn't like or thought were lacking and missing in the 701s.

The music just sounds real and organic. You're basically there outright.

Some of my CDs I'm almost hearing the actual analog tape in the background of the recording itself like I've only been able to hear on certain SACDs. That's never happened before.

Slightly more laid back out of the box...I noticed that "laid back" phenomenon already starting to fade and become more immediate as I used the headphones yesterday. These headphones wake up fairly quickly in contrast to the 701s by my experience.

It's not going to take "200 hours" of burn in like supposedly the 701s needed to see these cans really take off and roar.

The 701s I had to recable and really burn in to get them more or less where I wanted.

A/Bing back and forth I now I understand better what the 701s...good as they are...have been lacking. It's the kind of thing that words can't convey but your ears will tell you in short order.

The 701s are drier. They are analytical. These Senns 800s are not.

There is no "Sennheiser veil" either.

It's hard to put into words vs. being right there and flipping the cans on back and forth as you listen carefully to certain music and repeat sections of certain tracks repeatedly.

No question that these cans are "the next level" across the boards.

I doubt there will be a dynamic can that comes along for a long, long time that appreciably beats these things out. I really don't know how it could be done.

The 701s are well built headphones.

These headphones are built considerably even better and show a meticulous craftsmanship and detail down to the smallest little detail.

You know this as soon as you open the box.

Are they worth the price I paid for them? I can already say yes, especially if these continue to "open up" as see more action.

That's a subjective question, obviously. It's not easy to say "Hey, I bought $1400 headphones!" and feel good about it, but I do. :)

Were they worth the delay? Yes. The delay is already a distant and fading memory. :)

I don't tend to suffer from giddy honeymoon afterglow although I'll certainly not recuse myself from it, either. I'll accept that disclaimer on myself.

If these cans "get better" with more use as I expect them to then...wow, forget about it. Off the charts.

Please accept my post as nothing more and nothing less than typical first impressions. That's fair.

I will be very surprised if a few weeks from now I come back here and say: "Y'know what...I may just sell these things because it just isn't worth it."

Some pictures:

senn1001.jpg

Right before I open the box up. There's a prominent "2 year warranty" label right on the box.

senn1002.jpg

This is what you see when you open the box for the first time. The cans in a lap of luxury, so to speak.

senn1003.jpg

Fresh out of the box.

senn1004.jpg

senn1005.jpg

AKG 701s on left, Sennheiser 800s on right, sitting like a crown on top of my PS3 in a vertical position. And yes, the PS3 is right on top of the new Oppo with no problems. ;)

Below that is the GS-X headphone amp that the headphones are connected to. Below that the Cambridge 840c and on the lowest shelf the Onkyo DVSP1000.

senn1006.jpg

The pictures don't do these cans justice. Real meticulous care and craftsmanship were clearly taken form aesthetics, performance, and technology.

I can't take these things off!

:)

Well, they are absolutely not bass-shy, that's for sure. Have listened to them today both balanced and single-ended on the 307A, Balancing Act, BUDA, Zana, B22, HD2, Luxman, SDS-XLR, Woo 22 and some others -- and my ears are profoundly content. My only caveat: some songs on some sources suggest the slightest shade of sibilance. ;)