HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I just becoming a tired, cranky old git or something? I try to understand where the guy's coming from and he starts spouting some shit about how they're the greatest headphones ever. I call him out on it (in a fairly nice way) and he puts me on his ignore list. I wonder if he'll try to beat me up with one of his DT48s if I ever meet him in person.

I lurv bass as well. I wonder how the ring radiator will play out bass. Everyone's seen the impedance curve plot and how it skyrockets at around 100Hz but I don't think anyone who has heard it has mentioned anything about a bass deficiency or non-linearity.

Am I just becoming a tired, cranky old git or something? I try to understand where the guy's coming from and he starts spouting some shit about how they're the greatest headphones ever. I call him out on it (in a fairly nice way) and he puts me on his ignore list. I wonder if he'll try to beat me up with one of his DT48s if I ever meet him in person.

Meh. I think he's just insecure and can't deal with people disagreeing with him, so he gets defensive about it. Just look at the way he sucks up to Uncle Erik as if he was his personal God and Saviour, and clings onto his every word like gospel truth. I do love reading his DT48 posts though because his attitude is so hilariously full of fail, but if I were you I wouldn't lose any sleep over someone not liking you because you happen to not share their opinions. Not everyone will agree with me or like me very much to begin with and that's just fine. Let him get defensive all he wants since it is, after all, his problem.

I'm not going to make any comments on the DT48 personally since I haven't heard it, but it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Accurate does not mean analytical. Real music has bass presence, fluidity, rich tone color, and massive dynamic range. A dry and analytical sound is a coloration if anything. Comments on good mids and proper midrange tone do sound enticing, since this is what I usually value most in my systems, but there are plenty of headphones that do that already without missing out on anything else.

I don't know why people get so pantybunched over their fuckingheadphones, it's not like they mean shit in the grand scheme of things. I like all kinds of shit and don't really hold any brand affiliations. I like what I like no matter who makes it or who else likes or dislikes them. No skin off my nose either way.

People are dumb, some more than others.

Anyone willing to venture a guess why Beyer charges $400 for these?

Apart from the reasons Smeggy pointed, also because they've become the reference for psychoacoustic and clinical research studies, then are considered "medical" gear which is always expensive. It's very likely that those are expensive to produce for the quality control. I've never seen measurements of them, but they're supposed to give as a flat response as it's possible, with very low distortion.

Apart from the reasons Smeggy pointed, also because they've become the reference for psychoacoustic and clinical research studies, then are considered "medical" gear which is always expensive. It's very likely that those are expensive to produce for the quality control. I've never seen measurements of them, but they're supposed to give as a flat response as it's possible, with very low distortion.

[showUID]=421&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=93&cHash=ea00ad4144]http://www.beyerdynamic.de/en/broadcast-studio-video-production/products/headphonesheadsets/headphones.html?tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=421&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=93&cHash=ea00ad4144

<1% doesn't seem so hot for distortion and the frequency reponse doesn't seems so good either. The fact they are "standards" is likely the issue.

Did you find any frequency response plot? Their flat response is the only reason they're the standard for clinical research. I don't think it's their comfort or noise isolation ;D

Distortion is important when you're pushing them to very high SPL, which aren't very common in research. I suppose they won't do bad -not worse than any other dynamic- at normal SPLs.

I haven't listened to them. I used the DT48A plugged into a clinical audiometer, so I can't speak about their performance with music :P I guess they'll do as good -or bad- as any flat measuring monitor.

Did you find any frequency response plot? Their flat response is the only reason they're the standard for clinical research. I don't think it's their comfort or noise isolation ;D

Distortion is important when you're pushing them to very high SPL, which aren't very common in research. I suppose they won't do bad -not worse than any other dynamic- at normal SPLs.

I haven't listened to them. I used the DT48A plugged into a clinical audiometer, so I can't speak about their performance with music :P I guess they'll do as good -or bad- as any flat measuring monitor.

Well 0.9% (which is less than 1) a hell of a lot of distortion and 16-20k isn't that wide if they are using the standard -3dB.

I actually correct my headphones to dead-flat with an EQ plus a slow roll off in the highs to correct for HF rolloff of flat monitors in an actual mastering studio (see the Etymotic Website here Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4 - Technical Specifications, they have one without the roll off that's the ER-4B).

If they really are flat I'm interested but I can get there probably for cheaper and with less distortion with HD650s.

Forget about studio monitoring and what they consider flat and their corrections. If the DT48E really measure flat -which I still have yet to see- for research purposes, they should be +/- 1dB within the 20-20000 range. The DT-48A, for audiometric purposes, are that flat in the 125-12000 range.

Distortion depends on SPL when speaking about drivers. I suppose that the 0.9% figure is at the maximum rated output of 105 dBSPL. Most manufacturers wisely hide that data and only provide distortion figures at 90 or 95dB. Again seeing some measurements of distortion products and levels at different SPL for the DT48E is necessary to judge them based solely on figures.

Forget about studio monitoring and what they consider flat and their corrections. If the DT48E really measure flat -which I still have yet to see- for research purposes, they should be +/- 1dB within the 20-20000 range. The DT-48A, for audiometric purposes, are that flat in the 125-12000 range.

Distortion depends on SPL when speaking about drivers. I suppose that the 0.9% figure is at the maximum rated output of 105 dBSPL. Most manufacturers wisely hide that data and only provide distortion figures at 90 or 95dB. Again seeing some measurements of distortion products and levels at different SPL for the DT48E is necessary to judge them based solely on figures.

Well they spec how they test the THD: for example the DT770M is spec'd to <.2% under IEC 60268-7. That's a whole lot less.

Also Beyer specs 5 - 35,000 Hz for the DT770M.

So either Beyer is full of shit because you can look at the DT770 graph over at Headroom and it varies a hell of a lot..

I seriously doubt those phones are "flat".

I imagine these are being tested and measured by a different benchmark and specific standard than run-o-the-mill phones for domestic use. I'd imagine most phones would read poorly by the same standard unless I'm reading wrong.. not unheard of.

Beyer is full of shit. Pretty much all of their high end headphones list a frequency response spec of 5-35kHz, including DT770, DT880, DT990, DT860, DT440 is 10-35kHz, DT660 is 5-32kHz. Which means nothing since they also don't mention the tolerances. People who have heard the DT770/80 know the mid-bass is boosted like 6-10dB; it's all I hear on it. And the frequency response graph of the a version of the DT48 shows it has no treble, and apparently it has no bass either. Shit phones.