What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's been so long since I've heard them, it was almost like hearing them for the first time all over again. I had completely forgot how jammy/psychedelic they are (within context, of course).

The Stooges were a spectacular band.

B00004WK37.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Louis Armstrong - Complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens (Disc 1)

B000005HFH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Chet Baker - The Best of Chet Baker Sings

Greyboy Allstars - 2008-04-16 (audience recording)

15711951-15711954-slarge.jpg

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

neko-case2.jpg

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

record%20van%20halen%201.jpg

Van Halen - 1

The Chet Baker is awesome. I was disparaging vocal jazz and a friend of mine recommended this one to me. I have heard him sing before of course, but had never really sat down and listened closely. Some killer tracks, I will definitely be returning to it.

Took another shot at the Neko Case after I saw the kick ass tiles Ian did for his place. I enjoyed more this time, I see it as a potential grower.

Put on a digital copy of Van Halen 1 I have because I was thinking about buying the new Kevin Grey mastered vinyl, which BTW is suspected to be the DCC mastering. OK, so the dude can certainly shred an electric guitar, and the solos almost make the album worth it, but the songwriting just doesn't do anything for me. Really I think the songwriting sucks. And I hate hearing the VH "You Really Got Me" on the radio, and I still hate it on the album. Sorry, but Van Halen is one of those bands thats for everybody else, not postjack.

[snip]

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

[snip]

Took another shot at the Neko Case after I saw the kick ass tiles Ian did for his place. I enjoyed more this time, I see it as a potential grower.

a while back i did a quick and dirty listen at CD trader on Ventura Blvd, but couldn't bring myself to buy the Fox Confessor Brings The Flood, yet i am itching to hear it again because of the online chatter.

the first few times i heard Newsom i couldn't understand all the fuss and chuckled i could never listen to that, but after getting the Ys CD and then the LP i am hooked. well at least to this album...

newsom_cd.jpg

vinyl

My experience with Fox Confessor is that it is very much an acquired taste. A few of the songs grabbed me at first listen but it's one of those albums that grew on me to the point where I now rank it very highly. I'm 90% sure I'll be buying the vinyl of Middle Cyclone and sending it to Rain Man Records for a rip.