Official Head-Case Audio Confessional (post your (audio)sins here)

n_maher

Unless of course by "flooring" you actually mean "what the fuck is this godawful shit?!"

The dCS P8i made a promising initial impression but after I spent two weeks with it, it ended up not impressing me at all. It had the widest soundstage I'd heard until that point with some outstanding instrument placement as well but it wasn't very fast-sounding and its treble extension seemed lacking. It also didn't sound that much better from the balanced output than from single-ended. As far as the change in opinion, I usually don't trust my initial impressions of anything and try to form and reaffirm on-going impressions with extended listening and lots of CDs from my collection, rather than listening for only a few days and using only a handful of CDs at best.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, people aren't allowed to change their mind in hindsight? What, they can't be guilty of "new gearz disease"?

Of course they are. However, going from "this is holy shit awesome" to "this is fucking terrible" in the span of less than 3 months raises some questions. Like, was the person abducted by aliens and replaced with a clone?

Of course they are. However, going from "this is holy shit awesome" to "this is fucking terrible" in the span of less than 3 months raises some questions. Like, was the person abducted by aliens and replaced with a clone?

Well I can't speak for all resident clones but I take umbridge with that statement. :P Clones have feelings too you know......

Jeebus, it's scary how similar are interests have been for the past couple of years!

Father PJ, forgot to add that I as well bought hp2's for the 4th time this year, dropped plenty of money on gear I do not need, began listening to those dreaded big boxes with little drivers on them, got crazy into vintage klipsch only to sell those freaking boxes within a week (darn WAF), and have done away with power conditioning crap and random audiophilia tweaks.

Random off topic - mike, would love to hear your thoughts on the vintage tannoy's. They have this one 12" coaxial driver hi sensitive vintage model that is supposed to be fantastic, but rare and expensive (can't think of it anymore). I believe they had a couple of speakers that would probably sound fantastic with my 2a3 or 45 tubes :)

Haha, true that!

Dude, wish I'd heard some vintage Tannoy splendor but I haven't :( Every modern dual-concentric I'd heard, however, has been fantastic - my kind of sound. Coherence, dynamics, and just the best overall musical presentation IMO. Even the lower lines I've heard (Eyris DC, Sensys DC) are pretty sweet. The new Revolution DCs are supposed to be better than the Eyris DC they replace. The Dimension and Prestige lines add better resolution, dynamics, and extension over those lines. The Dimensions are voiced just a touch cleaner/more neutral than the lower prestige line, think a bit HP1000 vs. HD650/L3000. In this case I think I've probably jump from the Dimension 10s to any of the Prestige 10s given a chance! The Prestige series I've heard are all so gorgeously musical. Any 10" dual-concentric is the entry level to serious hifi sound in a good moderate/large room IMO...the 12" Kensingtons I've heard are just SUBLIME but out of my price range. In smaller rooms I'd think an 8" Dimension or Prestige would be ideal. I can't confirm but I'd hazard a guess that the vintage Tannoy DC drivers are very similar to their contemporary counterparts. With the bigger drivers and cabs, the high efficiency is definitely a HUGE plus. Mine are 92db, which is nice, but not quite SET range :(

I'm lucky enough to live next door to one of the few Tannoy Prestige dealers in the US - they've even got a custom speaker they've built based on an 8" Tannoy DC driver that I'm itching to audition...at $2K for the entry level price, sounds like it could be a deal.

The P8i and I have finally met. Have already listened for a few hours. This machine is absolutely flooring me, if you guys want the short version.

I think his explanation backs up that statement. I can understand how the wide soundstage and instrument placing could be alluring at first, but upon closer inspection prove incompatible with your listening tastes.

I think his explanation backs up that statement. I can understand how the wide soundstage and instrument placing could be alluring at first, but upon closer inspection prove incompatible with your listening tastes.

A radically different presentation can be alluring generally, or a huge turn-off, depending.

Father Postjack, I have sinned and continue to sin yet unto this day. It's been God knows how long since my last confession. In fact, this may well be my first confession. Anyway, about three years ago I decided that my audio equipment was the best I had ever owned and that I was completely happy with it. Since then, other than cleaning connections and replacing things that broke or wore out, I haven't spent another dime on audio gear. Just listened to great music every day. No single-sided this or balanced that. No headphone of the month or interconnect for eternity. And I've been happy. De-stressed in audio regards and really happy.

Which may be the greatest sin of all . . . :jacob:

Here's an odd confession: I just realized that after my HD-650s, my most used headphones are the greatly-maligned HD-570s. The 570s are inefficient, cold, distant cans. Even diehard Senn fanboys don't particularly like them. That said, they're amazingly comfortable, and don't sound any worse driven by my MacBook's heapdhone jack than they do by my GLite. They work quite well with youtube or flash based games like Onslaught 2.

hell, maybe even saving up a down payment for a house!

With over twenty years of retrospect, by far one of the best purchases of my life was Casa del Old Pa (A/K/A Wiseacre; a little lawyer joke). And the second best choice may well have been paying the mortgage off ten years ago.

Sounds like a good plan to me Jacob. I too have no plans for substantially altering either my headphone or soldering/speaker rig in '09.

I'll have to tuck this away and see how amusing it is a year from now. :D

I'll believe it when I see it :)

Nate actually has a chance of making no major changes in a year, unlike some others here. :P