New TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp / Preamp

Voltron

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that there's definitely form over function at work. However some of the aesthetic choices, are just ugly and could have been easily remedied by a lot of other readily available parts. Assuming the pics of the TTVJ website are of a production model, then it is a notable oversight. Form over function works, but still can look much cleaner. But then again maybe I'm not as attracted to the whole "built by Pete Millet" factor that some seem to be.

The new TTVJ FET-A is what you seem to have missed. It went on sale recently for the intro price of $649, but the labor costs are going to raise the price a bit to $729 after the first 10. It is a nice little amp with a lot of power. I will be trying it head-to-head with the EC/SS tonight.

Is it me .... or does this amp look both ugly and cheap? The volume knob really looks funky.

dude, i felt the same way about the ttvj phonostage. plus i had serious noise issues because of the lack of the ground wire attachment. the small and plastic selector dial was godawful, imo. i wasn't 100% sure i had it dialed in where i actually wanted it and felt it couldn't be anymore cheaply done -- sad, but true. i couldn't even write a review given my poor listening experience with that product.

Edited by 909

Still, the TTVJ look is definitely utilitarian and nobody seems to like the volume knob except Pete Millett because it is used on the 307A amp as well! It was just something to get posted, but the amp does not look like it was built by Accuphase or Luxman. It is similar to my EC/SS in level of looks/style, although I keep asking Todd if there is some reason the DIY guys like Nate can come up with beautiful one-off cases and face plates like the recent Beta22 for tyrion. He seems to believe it would be too expensive and obviously believes the money is better spent on internals and design.

it's probably because not only Pete, but Todd needs to get their points on the product -- everyone gets their cut, right? :palm:

i've had a loaner ec-ss and the ttvj (phonostage mind you) chassis just seems overall less expensive to make.

Edited by 909

Now that's funny stuff. :D

The unfortunate reality is that the 307A is an amazing amp and yet people don't buy them in nearly the numbers that they buy the shiny black boxes (in more ways than one) from Colorado. :rolleyes:

But oh mighty Voltron, if it looks good, it MUST sound goooooooooood!!!

The "shinyness" reflects the sound waves directly into your brain!! It's sooooo obvious!!!

But oh mighty Voltron, if it looks good, it MUST sound goooooooooood!!!

The "shinyness" reflects the sound waves directly into your brain!! It's sooooo obvious!!!

You've figured it out, Manuel! That is the secret to the SP success. Well, that and the crack dispenser on the pricier models. ;)

Edited by Voltron

Well, on topic, I am sitting here in Park City, Utah listenin to the FET-A and EC/SS side by side. My source is an iMod with female dock and my Wyvern Audio AG-8 mini-RCA cable. Cans are Ed. 9 and HF-1. I am just getting going, so no impressions right away other than that these are both high-value amps. So compact and yet very satisfying. :)

Also posted on HF:

web.jpg

The Intro

Todd recently sent me a production model of the new TTVJ FET-A amp that he and Pete Millett have created. The amp went on sale this month for $649, and is available exclusively from TTVJ.com. Pete did the design of this fully discrete, Class A headphone amp and preamp, and Todd assembles and sells them. The FET-A has two pairs of RCA inputs and the volume-controlled preamp output on the back, and substantial Elpac wallwart provides the power. The front has a power switch, input selector, volume control and both

Thanks for the review Al, seems like a very promising amp. Did you also listen with your Audio-Technica AD2000? I'd be interested in any impressions specific to that pairing (including gain). ;) Also what aspects in particular are better on the Luxman P-1 vs the FET-A?

both?! ;D

I'm normally very tolerant of ugly functional devices but the FET-A would look better if he didn't bother branding/engraving it.

We've had this discussion a couple of pages back. After making a similar comment (fugly, about the amp :rolleyes:), I agree that I would much rather have the money spent inside the unit than outside, as is the wont of some vendors. That I can certainly respect.