New RSA amp...

penger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about that as well but you would need multiple taps on the secondary to cope with all the different headphone impedances. I sent Justin some of my spare transformers to test the amps with but I don't know if he had any success with that approach.

Lets everyone send justin various things to test and play with. Lets start with

bench power supplys. I'm planning on an entire pallet piled high with supplies

in a few weeks.

Sure hope justin's apartment has a loading dock.. :D

Lets everyone send justin various things to test and play with. Lets start with

bench power supplys. I'm planning on an entire pallet piled high with supplies

in a few weeks.

Sure hope justin's apartment has a loading dock.. :D

I already had a pallet arrive yesterday and they had to leave it in the street

MAJOR FAIL. The top tube violates the filament to cathode spec. Nothing can

be done about this either, as they are dual triode tubes.

there is a way to do it without violating Vhk limits, but he has never done it right before. taking the (safe) assumoption that the output stage in this amp is called on to give some gain, the cathode of the "top" triode is going to be at FAR higher voltages than in the Craptor or "2 craptors back to back" (B52). the failboat is coming into port.

Ray dosnt seem to be one to take any kind of advice or learn from the mistakes of others (even those he happily mocks himself) very well.

Nope try again...

One triode of the two in the same tube is the high side, and the other is the

low side. If the low side tube cathode is pretty close to ground, as one would

expect with a srpp with gain, then the most the top cathode of the other

triode in the same glass would be +90. Output voltage swing would be very

minimal. Not rays "louder than loud" style.

Would limit B+ to less than 200 volts...

In fact on the cRaptor, the B+ is 250 volts, and the top cathode is at 150 volts,

60 volts over spec.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Nope try again...

One triode of the two in the same tube is the high side, and the other is the

low side.

agreed, ray does it as you say, and wrong.

in an effort to use an SRPP circuit safely even with very high B+ this would certainly do:

both triodes in 1 bottle for the "top halves" of 2 SRPP blocks with their own floating heater supply.

both triodes in another bottle for the "bottom halves" of the 2 SRPPs sharing the heater for the gain/input tube.

Its soooo stupid the way he (ray) does things. an additional heater supply and some more wires in the umbilical to do it right costs a bit, but I doubt thats really a significant cost for an amp that many people are speculating to cost more than $5000. After that its just a mater of NOT wiring things in the stupidest way possible, which he seems unable to do.

he *could* have floated or "referenced" the heater on the craptor/B52 and been within safe limits of Vhk, but he chose to use an idiotmode switching supply and shared ground wires.

Edited by nikongod

in an effort to use an SRPP circuit safely even with very high B+ this would certainly do:

both triodes in 1 bottle for the "top halves" of 2 SRPP blocks with their own floating heater supply.

both triodes in another bottle for the "bottom halves" of the 2 SRPPs sharing the heater for the gain/input tube.

Its soooo stupid the way he (ray) does things. an additional heater supply and some more wires in the umbilical to do it right costs a bit, but I doubt thats really a significant cost for an amp that many people are speculating to cost more than $5000. After that its just a mater of NOT wiring things in the stupidest way possible, which he seems unable to do.

he *could* have floated or "referenced" the heater on the craptor/B52 and been within safe limits of Vhk, but he chose to use an idiotmode switching supply and shared ground wires.

I think you're forgetting the AC voltages. you could do it but you'd need 8 tubes total if you want to use 5687 (parallel both halves of each tube) and 4 floating highly isolated filament supplies. hmm where have i heard this before. anyway, if there is a separate heater supply for the top tube, ignoring the AC voltages, i think it would be OK as in you're not going to hear about it if a tube breaks, it will just get replaced, unless it takes amp/PSU components with it and then can't be repaired...like that other amp

Edited by justin

And justin beats me to the answer again. Its the AC signal that is the problem

especially since the 2 halves of the tubes are 180 out of phase. So one cathode

goes up by 90 volts,and the other goes down by 90 volts. Any more output

signal than that and you violate the tube ratings. (for 5687's)

You could mix the tubes, using one section for L+ and R+, then as long as the

music is mono... :D

There absolutely is a way to do this, has to be single triodes. OR single DHT's.

Maybe i should publish my all DHT amp schematic, but really don't want the

competition (hack cough) to actually learn how to do it right.

Sucks to have a day job, otherwise i could be like billy and be on head-case all day. :D

Edited by kevin gilmore

Better to have had, and lost... or somesuch. But, dayum... just dayum.

I don't regret buying any one of those phones and I've made a lot of people very happy (and addicted) by selling them off.

DHT = Serious Wood!

An all DHT electrostatic amp with EML tubes = DR. Wood. ;D

• 2 weeks later...