New RSA amp...

penger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its looks shouldn't surprise anybody, who knows the RSA product line, too much. It takes most of its styling cues from the B-52. I much prefer the looks of the BHSE but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people will prefer this. Ray's amps tend to be well-built. That's not be an RSA issue. I'm more interested in how it sounds and whether it will have reliability issues due to Ray's lack of experience designing stat amps.

Edited by guzziguy

sorry for the off-topic, but to give an idea of the size required to make a decent stax portable, figure about 5W which allows +/-300V and 1mA for each output stage (compared to BH which is +/-400V and 20mA output bias). That would be a life of 27 minutes if you used a 9V nimh battery

sorry for the off-topic, but to give an idea of the size required to make a decent stax portable, figure about 5W which allows +/-300V and 1mA for each output stage (compared to BH which is +/-400V and 20mA output bias). That would be a life of 27 minutes if you used a 9V nimh battery

People could wear a bandoleer filled with 6-10 rechargeable 9Vs. Or be really hardcore and buy a crapload of lithiums. Or be really really hardcore and carry around a lead-acid battery. Except that's not very portable.

I like the way the sides look with those parallel bars. That's something I don't think I've seen on an amp before.

Am I the only one that doesn't like when volume knobs are on the left hand side and headphone jacks are on the right? That always bothers me a little. It's not a deal breaker (I'd happily take the Wheatfield HA-2), but I much prefer it the other way.

Actually, I like the way it looks. Not as much as the BHSE -- it's a completely different look -- it kind of looks like a black-and-tan version of some of the Musical Fidelity gear.

So he did it. And without killing himself.

People could wear a bandoleer filled with 6-10 rechargeable 9Vs. Or be really hardcore and buy a crapload of lithiums. Or be really really hardcore and carry around a lead-acid battery. Except that's not very portable.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Edited by Dusty Chalk