New RSA amp...

penger

I don't know what I was thinking and forgot where I was, and just responded to the topic on hand

Think first, post... Well, let me rephrase that. Think first, second and third, post fourth.

But it is too late to edit it now - I hate that time limit on edits. Can a mod move my post above, or kill it please?

Probably not. You posted it, you get to live with it. That's why there is an editing limit. No backtracking, so (ideally) no posting without thinking.

See where I'm going with this?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a blue capacitor and a black capacitor it looks prettier that way

Ooohhh CDE and Panasonic, fancy!!! :P I'll just have to be content with my brown Nichicon's... ;)

Hrm.. is a switching power supply like with the rest of his stuff or something nicer?

The heaters are probably driven off a single switcher supply which is grounded into the amp's signal ground (and thus dumping all the noise into the amp) as that's how the B-52 is built. I do hope that Ray's using at least two supplies in this amps or there is going to be trouble...

That was really one of the best reviews I've seen, and it has this air of sincerity that is so lacking mostly.

I would buy anything based on Darth Nuts reviews. He's nailed down completely how the SR-007 sounds and how it is different from the SR-Omega. I'd really like to read his take on the Mk2/A's...

Darth Nut's review is fantastic. It's one of the few really good attempts to actually discuss sound and break it down into easily understandable and identifiable parameters. Really a rarity when most reviewers feel the need to talk about improvements in sonic gestalt from their $7000 power cables... Unfortunately it ends up being too detailed and intelligent for its own good and many people will not have the patience to make it through a review of that magnitude.

From the head-fi thread:

We are proud to present to you the A10, Thunderbolt II, Electrostatic amp/Pre-amp.

As to the Price of the A-10, the regular price is $6,500.00. We always give an introductory price to the members of the head-fi community.

The first 10 units of the A-10 will be offered for $5,500.00 only. We have only six available for that price for now as four units have been spoken for.

There are some pics of the A-10 in the Detroit impressions thread and amongst those a picture of the amp section with no tubes. It appears that Ray is using the same sockets as I'm using in the Warthog (PoorMan) which were the cheapest ones I could find. :palm:

Now we all know that Ray's an idiot but this is just too much. :palm: Why on earth did he turn the drivers around when they are dipoles? If he wanted to run them out of phase he only had to switch the + and - wires. It may even be worse then that (I'm going from memory here) but the HE60 has slots on the back of the driver which is where the rubber o-ring sits which seals the baffle. I'm not sure the front piece has those same slots so there could be massive baffle leak i.e. no wonder the He60 didn't compare well to the He90.