penger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of 2 for sure, and one is dead. They are called "concerto's"

Hey billy, time for you to prove what you said earlier today with respect

to the kidney cancer foundation...

Isn't there a guy in our neck of the woods Kevin that has been trying to sell off his concerto for quite a while now? I will try to find the link...

...SPF - Singlepower Electrostatic and Dynamic Amp in Maestro Chassis MUST SELL THIS WEEK - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Already sold.

Isn't there a guy in our neck of the woods Kevin that has been trying to sell off his concerto for quite a while now? I will try to find the link...

Already sold.

And did he take a beating price wise. I know who got it, they are spending about

$1000 on tube sockets and a power supply rewiring job...

(nope, not me, i'm tired of those things)

And billy is a man of his word.

and someone needs to make an all in one e-stat and dynamic amp.

I don't see how it could avoid being a jack of all trades, master of none kind of scenario and this is my main concern with something like the A-10 given the description of it's operation and everything it's trying to be.

I also wonder, irrespective of how good or bad the A-10 may turn out to be or what it's price point is, how much lower Ray could price an amp based around this design that was focused on being exclusively an electrostatic amp only without the bells and whistles. Something aimed more as a competitor to Stax's own amp offerings. I wouldn't deny Ray the freedom to choose what market he wants to go after, but I'm unsure if he really has a product here that will appeal to his target market. Time will tell I guess.

Can someone explain to me the debate as to whether this thing is true balanced or not?

All electrostatic transducers (other than the beveridge) are balanced devices and

must be driven with a balanced drive system. The A10 in balanced input mode

must clearly be balanced thru the 4 channel pot to the output section.

Now whether or not the 4 output sections are push pull (i.e. srpp) or single ended

(tube with resistor plate load pictured a couple of pages back) is a different

discussion. Likely the later and either dc coupled outputs (with dual power supply)

or ac coupled outputs (single power supply)

ES1 is fully balanced input thru output, capacitively coupled in the middle, dc coupled outputs

KGSS, KGST, BH and BHSE are fully balanced input thru output completely dc coupled input to output

srm-T1, 007t,srm-717 etc are all fully balanced input thru output completely dc coupled input to output

Edited by kevin gilmore

I don't see how it could avoid being a jack of all trades, master of none kind of scenario and this is my main concern with something like the A-10 given the description of it's operation and everything it's trying to be.

BHSE + GS-X in one box!

Edited by jinp6301

posted at the other site, and probably deleted. it is a paid thread.

That sounds like that would be a good thing - no matter whether you select SE input or balanced XLR input, the preamp outputs balanced drive XLR to your amp. Is the 60's reference a knock on the A-10? I didn't understand.

the 60's reference is that phase splitters to output balanced signals from single ended inputs have been available in preamps since at the latest the 60's, and probably earlier.

My point really is:

why not add a phase splitter to the B52? And really, why not build it that way from day 1?

This raises the interesting question, considering that the B52 cant be guaranteed to output a balanced signal through the XLR's (It outputs unbalanced on XLR when an unbalanced input is selected) and that the A10 uses the phase splitter when a single ended input is selected, which Im assuming is switched in and out of the signal path as needed:

What happens if a single ended signal is fed into an XLR input on the A10? Does the amp still output a balanced signal as required to drive an electrostatic headphone?

Its a question that would have me ripping out my hair.

the 60's reference is that phase splitters to output balanced signals from single ended inputs have been available in preamps since at the latest the 60's, and probably earlier.

My point really is:

why not add a phase splitter to the B52? And really, why not build it that way from day 1?

This raises the interesting question, considering that the B52 cant be guaranteed to output a balanced signal through the XLR's (It outputs unbalanced on XLR when an unbalanced input is selected) and that the A10 uses the phase splitter when a single ended input is selected, which Im assuming is switched in and out of the signal path as needed:

What happens if a single ended signal is fed into an XLR input on the A10? Does the amp still output a balanced signal as required to drive an electrostatic headphone?

That's a good question. Maybe you could restate it at the other forum in a way that makes it more clear? I have an Isomax XLR-RCA transformer that is supposed to let me input SE into XLR inputs or the other way around, and I've always wondered how that works too.

Colin and I talked about the reverse :)

kgbh with a transformer to add dynamic outs.

Now that would be fun, and probably really good sounding, just a nice transformer on the output for dynamics, I am wondering if it could be done and sound decent...

This is a more philosophical question, but what is it about Ray's amps that seems to really get people on a personal level? The statement about "ripping" one's hair out over something as silly as whether its balanced or not seems overly sensitive, and I know that we all have much better things to do than agonize over an amp that you are probably not going to own in the 1st place. It's just that the whole anti-rsa/he doesn't know anything is just getting a bit old.

What is the major issue at play? Ray's marketing skills and techniques? Ray's "engineering"? His personality, the way he does business? Is it internet bravado that takes over and causes some people to say things they probably would never say to him in person? I really am curious why there is still such an animosity still towards him. Some for sure is grounded in actual interactions (cue Kevin and Jacob), but I just don't understand where a lot of you have left alone companies like ALO for the most part but still feel the need to attack anything RSA (Which i though we were getting away from and focusing on quality stuff like Justin's BHSE).

Heaven knows I have plenty of reasons to not like the man as there was a time where he personally attacked my credibility and conveyed that our "friendship" was meaningless, but even I have moved on to a point where I can accept him for who he is, and just leave him alone to do what he wants. I will probably never even listen to another RSA amp but I don't feel the need to attack and question his every move. At the last meet we actually talked and shook hands and put everything behind, and though that doesn't change the fact of what took place in the past, I still think there is value in moving on and letting the man earn a living the way he sees fit.

Excuse the Dr. Phil moment:palm:

My point really is:

Dikongod seriously man..

No amp nor any Product on the market will output a Balanced signal ounce a unbalanced anything is in the line! in order to be true Balanced setup you must start with and end with balanced all the way..anytime an unbalanced signal is in the line then everything else just became unbalanced!

im sorry mods and people but Dikongod's 14 posts and he really needs to STFU!

Dikongod seriously man..

No amp nor any Product on the market will output a Balanced signal ounce a unbalanced anything is in the line! in order to be true Balanced setup you must start with and end with balanced all the way..anytime an unbalanced signal is in the line then everything else just became unbalanced!

im sorry mods and people but Dikongod's 14 posts and he really needs to STFU!

Not true billy...although balanced all the way may be the most pure, there are many ways to convert an unbalanced signal to balanced. Most amps just use a differential amplifier to do it

Edited by justin