Suggestions for closed headphones?

AlanY

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of closed headphones again. I used to own the Beyer DT250-250 a long time ago based on Headroom's ancient recommendation and liked them. Tried the AKG K271S when it first came out and liked the midrange but disliked the strange quality of what bass there was (no impact at all). Haven't really been following closed cans since. There's a thread on Head Case about closed cans but it's somewhat dated. It looks like the HD25-1 II was the flavor of the month on the other site for a while and has a persistent following. I listened to this at the local dealer out of a NAD integrated (not the greatest audition, obviously) and felt that the bass was a little excessive, making the overall sound muddy, but overall I didn't dislike them.

Anyone willing to suggest their favorite closed can in current production? If nothing else I'll probably pick up the DT250-250 again.

Other than the quality control issues, I liked the Denon D5000.

The Beyer DT770 (-250? -120? -- the middle one) is built like a tank, but is recommended for bassheads.

The Beyer DT880 is only partially closed, and not very well loved here, except by me and a few other people.

I have the AKG, but have not spent a whole lot of time with it.

I remember being impressed with whatever headphone was in Tower Records' listening stations, if anyone knows what that one was. And it's probably cheap, since they bought literally hundreds of them. Anyone know what that one was? I need to get one or two (one for reference, one for modding).

Speaking of modding, the Fostex T40RP is damn good, but you're going to get the Ortho-Squad on your back to modify it.

I finally got the Koss Pro/4AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa..... -- it clamps like a vise grip, so I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it until I stretch it out. But it's also built like a tank and isolates like a mofo.

The DT-880 is semi-closed (read no isolation) but a decent value at it's price point.

I recently acquired and have been mesmerized by the ATH-W5000. I read mostly negative comments prior to trying it for myself. Fits me like a glove, superior isolation to the DX1000, deep soundstage, plenty of good bass quantity and quality. The sound is colored, but in a pleasant way to my ears on my system.

I remember being impressed with whatever headphone was in Tower Records' listening stations, if anyone knows what that one was. And it's probably cheap, since they bought literally hundreds of them. Anyone know what that one was? I need to get one or two (one for reference, one for modding)

Are you thinking of the MB Quart QP805? I have one on the way, but it was a blind purchase so I cant speak to the sound yet. T40v1 is the way I would go right now if I needed closed and circumaural, unless I could afford something like a SR-4070.

Are you thinking of the MB Quart QP805? I have one on the way, but it was a blind purchase so I cant speak to the sound yet. T40v1 is the way I would go right now if I needed closed and circumaural, unless I could afford something like a SR-4070.
I don't think it was MB Quart, I want to say it was a more common name, like Koss or Audio-Technica or something.

Hmmm. I have 271S at work amped with a Gilmore Dynalo. While not bad amped, something better would be nice as long as it wasn't too pricey. The ATH ESW9 sounds interesting, so I did a google on it and ran across this:

Audio Technica ATH ESW9 wood headphones earphones

At that price, that has to be a scam I would think? Or are these guys legit? Paypal only (so not alot of buyer protection).

My favorite closed headphones at the moment are:

GermanMAESTRO GMP 250 (w/ Beyer leather earpads)

AKG K270 Playback (w/ Beyer leather pads)

M-Audio Studiophile Q40 (modded, w/ DT770 Pro velour pads)

Closed phones that I liked, but didn't keep because of comfort issues:

BeyerDynamic DT 150

Kenwood KH-K1000

AKG K271S

And if the BeyerDynamic DT 770 2005 consumer edition didn't had that sibilant and piercing treble, I would've kept them as well. These are not the bass monsters, but more like a closed DT880.

Closed cans that I regret selling, are the Sony MDR-CD1700.

Those that I didn't like are:

Sennheiser HD 380 pro

Denon AH-D2000

BeyerDynamic DT 770/80 Pro

Audio Technica ATH ESW9 wood headphones earphones

At that price, that has to be a scam I would think? Or are these guys legit? Paypal only (so not alot of buyer protection).

Their contact us e-mail address is: [email protected]

Now if that doesn't say "i'm a scammer" I don't know what does :palm:

Regarding suggestions for closed phones, in my recent quest to find a pair of phones that'd be a nice alternative my 650s I picked up a pair of JVC DX1000s used. I'll post some impressions after they get here.

Their contact us e-mail address is: [email protected]

Now if that doesn't say "i'm a scammer" I don't know what does :palm:

Regarding suggestions for closed phones, in my recent quest to find a pair of phones that'd be a nice alternative my 650s I picked up a pair of JVC DX1000s used. I'll post some impressions after they get here.

Oh come on, that website was screaming "you know you want to trust us..." :palm:

What little time I owned 530's as used with a predator they were perty sweet soundin'

buds when you could get a good seal.

Very nice having something you can put in your pocket on-the-go to give you a "fix" anytime anywhere, especially at the airport or doctor's office.