Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stax know full well about us (both HF and HC) but I'm not sure they like all that their seeing. I really should post that SR-007Mk2/A mod guide on HF to stir up some shit... ;D

Yeah, ΨΦ it is, but we all enjoy speculating and making up shit, no? :) We should send Spritzer, as our emissary, to Japan to lobby Stax and show them how it's done :P

I'd be glad to bring a hammer with me and hit them over the head with it. According to a source inside Stax, the SR-007A was supposed to be moar neutral then the Mk1. :palm: I'd also like to give them a piece of my mind about those SR-Omega/007 conversions... :nate:

:angel:

I'd be glad to bring a hammer with me and hit them over the head with it. According to a source inside Stax, the SR-007A was supposed to be moar neutral then the Mk1. :palm: I'd also like to give them a piece of my mind about those SR-Omega/007 conversions... :nate:

samurai_viking.jpg

Sorry for off-topic :angel:

When I spoke with and interviewed John a while back, he was pretty upfront on his business model about planting a seed, and the consumer upgrading until they ultimately reached the highest model. Definitely worked for me, as I started with the sr60, then went to the 80, 225, 325, MS2, RS1 + GS1000 + HP2 x 5 and beyond. So I wouldn't be surprised if the HF-2 truly is like a baby ps1000, giving you enough of that sound to tease you and eventually upgrade to the ps1000 all together. Because of that, I think the HF-2 will probably be a limited run, once demand tapers off a bit, and grawk stated it perfectly, that a short run to generate hype actually will increase demand for the other products in the line.

what if they had rod locks and build construction like the HP-1000s, except as a wood/metal hybrid? Speculation is killing me.

Highly doubt the rod locks and HP-1000 build construction. That kind of build quality, metal on metal on top of more metal construction would cost WAY more than $429, or really $389 because $40 of it is going to head-fi.

You're entitled to your opinion even though it is wrong, but what do you base your "feeling" on regarding Grado wanting to keep the hype going? If you knew what happened with the the HF-1 you would know that both John Grado and Todd Green were both quite pissed off about the after-market for those cans. They priced them low and made them a special edition for members of Head-Fi and to support the site. When people started running up the prices on the used market, they were angry about it, and Todd at least was publicly vocal about that. Plus, what insight does one gain about market strategy from customer comparisons between cans? :rolleyes:

I am sure they were pissed but if they wanted to keep the resale value at a normal price they would continue production for a longer period of time, simple as that. Would I expect them too? Not at all. While I am sure that there is a lot of generosity at play here from both Grado and Todd you can not say that both the information and the manner in which it has been released so far is doing anything other than playing into the hype of these phones. Oh, and thanks for allowing me an opinion.

I am sure they were pissed but if they wanted to keep the resale value at a normal price they would continue production for a longer period of time, simple as that.
They're interested in generating future sales. My guess is that the idea is that creating this brief run of headphones is a way to grow the brand in general while giving back to Head-Fi. Moving forward what they want are sales that don't come with a $40 penalty off the bottom line.

Oh, and thanks for allowing me an opinion.

Don't act like a jackass unless you want to be treated like one. :basement:

They're interested in generating future sales. My guess is that the idea is that creating this brief run of headphones is a way to grow the brand in general while giving back to Head-Fi. Moving forward what they want are sales that don't come with a $40 penalty off the bottom line.

Don't act like a jackass unless you want to be treated like one. :basement:

Heh didn't think I was. Didn't see any reason for his negative comments and responded appropriated. I agree with your other comments and think that this is a kind gesture but FWIR the complaining back after the HF1 prices started going up seems pretty silly. It has to be expected when its a hyped up, good sounding, limited production phone. Hopefully I will get my ears on one some time this summer.

Did stuff like HP-1 use hot glue? :D

I will say, in defense of John, and whether your into acoustics, especially regarding the topic of resonant frequencies, and how bonding two components together through glue might actually be sonically beneficial when combining two components through some kind of screw or hinge. Using glue to bond components may combine the resonant frequencies of both components, whereas using a screw between the two components maintains the original 2 resonant frequencies and adds another on top (which is typically not a good thing). This is according to John and you can read it in the review below lollers:

6moons audio reviews: Grado Labs GS-1000