Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm betting these headphones will be more likely to be wood holding the drivers with metal cups. I would even go so far to bet that the metal cups are going to look like the mahogany RS1 in shape. They will probably have the nice new thicker cable as well. I guess that would actually make them look a little similar to the HP-1000, maybe they would even have it black anodized, that would be great.

I am really only hoping that there is no gold/brass involved, just silver/aluminum except for maybe the headphone plug. No buttons, just like these:

45593.jpg

My whole line of reasoning here is based on Grado not being able to be all that creative with their original designs. This just seems like the obvious thing to do. I wonder how plastic hinges would look with that, they wouldn't be hidden like they are by the PS1000. It would be a sure hit for me if it took some fashion hints from the hp-1000 for metal hinges too.

I believe the shape of the cup would be the same as 325i/MS2i, and in fact, since these two models have plastic inside, just a quick swap with wooden ones and you have HF-2s

That is probably the way they will go, I just dream. I should be thankful they didn't just add the new "i" shaped plastic cups and call it a day.

The whole new construction thing in general has me put off from preordering before pictures and impressions. I'm not a big fan of the SR325 at all, so the metal cups mixed with wood and different drivers on resonances just seem like it could be very touchy and hard to imagine if they will get it right or not (for me). The whole metal cup thing doesn't seem like it could sound close to being a more refined HF-1 though, it seems more likely to sound very different. So I am leaning with the mini PS1000 hopefuls, in any case they have my attention. Pray for deep cups.

I'm very curious to see what they are since if aluminum I'm not sure whether or not I will make them into a complete woody as I did my HF-1s. Of course I've also been back at the lathe recently enjoying the flexibility that the new Nova Chuck offers. My tall friend from Mass might be particularly interested in that... :indra:

I'm very curious to see what they are since if aluminum I'm not sure whether or not I will make them into a complete woody as I did my HF-1s. Of course I've also been back at the lathe recently enjoying the flexibility that the new Nova Chuck offers. My tall friend from Mass might be particularly interested in that... :indra:

Nova chucks rule!

The Nova Chuck & soft jaws look to make turning fun again! :D

Turning is always fun, even on a treadle lathe. The right tools can make it even more fun however, so I get your point.

Turning is always fun, even on a treadle lathe. The right tools can make it even more fun however, so I get your point.

Well, you're right. The turning was always fun... The outside shaping of Grado cups went fine. It was trying to drill the end grain to open them up that was miserable. The chuck allows for sooooooo much more without having to struggle with a 2" forstner bit!

Well, you're right. The turning was always fun... The outside shaping of Grado cups went fine. It was trying to drill the end grain to open them up that was miserable. The chuck allows for sooooooo much more without having to struggle with a 2" forstner bit!

Sounds like you need an excuse to practice! ;)

Sounds like you need an excuse to practice! ;)

I believe there are currently no less than 4 sets of cups that were heretofore abandoned because they were too thin to drill. I think they all stand a good change of being able to be milled on the chuck.

And Steve, yes the chuck is the tits, especially with the soft jaws.

I believe there are currently no less than 4 sets of cups that were heretofore abandoned because they were too thin to drill. I think they all stand a good change of being able to be milled on the chuck.

And Steve, yes the chuck is the tits, especially with the soft jaws.

nate, why not send them off to get stabilized then try and drill them? The resin impregnation is pretty cool and might be the ticket here.