Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

Nate :) 3m upocc and xlr4

Rewire could be pretty rough. If, say, the cups happen to be aluminum those are a bitch to get off and I really don't feel like burning my hands. You really need work gloves to work on the aluminum grados. Wood, plastic, maybe, but all the same I'm not hauling a cable out there for that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rewire could be pretty rough. If, say, the cups happen to be aluminum those are a bitch to get off and I really don't feel like burning my hands. You really need work gloves to work on the aluminum grados. Wood, plastic, maybe, but all the same I'm not hauling a cable out there for that.

The HF-2 earcups are metal.

Well, I think that there might be some prioritizing going on, mostly thinking this year's CanJam organizers should be able to get their theirs, even if they didn't order until a bit later. I'm maybe thinking some head-fi mods that might be at CanJam will be on that list. Otherwise, I do think that the first people who ordered, who are also at CanJam on Saturday morning, should get theirs.
I more or less agree with that, but I would add that international attendees should probably get preference over domestic attendees at that last step -- to save on international shipping and potentially customs and tarriffs and taxes (oh, my!) and whatnot.

1) Secret slush fund (i.e., paypal account)

2) Never ever share how much this stuff costs

3) Always play down how much gear costs if asked

4) "I traded for it."

Definitely 1, 2 and 3, and I'd like to emphasize the "never ever" in #2. I remember when my wife first saw my RSA SR71 a few years ago. She asked, "How much was it?" But before I could answer, she offered "$100?" and I gladly said "Yes, honey."

Traded for it? That's a good one.

Keeping a secret slush fund and being able to spot opportunities to divert some dollars to the fund are important (e.g., large tax refund, buying/selling house). I intend to skim some money from my tax refund (mailed yesterday according to IRS WMR site) to purchase the HF-2.

I just tell my wife she needs to spend more money on herself, and than keep careful track of the running total of suits, bags, shoes etc. with an eye to balancing it out on the gear side. Everyone's happy.* :)

* Except the kids, I guess, who will never go to college.

I was thinking the same thing about having to pack it to bring home if they are hand delivered.

Talk to JP nums or Jasper994 about shipping, we might be able to ship directly from the hotel, if you can't/don't want to bring it back with you on the plane.

-Ed

Nate, could you plan on doing a couple/few snip and re-terminations? I will PM you with a couple questions in that regard.

So, the few things I can say pursuant to my NDAs with TTVJ are:

1. Todd hopes the run of HF-2 available at CJ09 will be in the order of 20 pairs, which he has to bring with him or ship there, and we all know what supposedly happened with a big box of HD800s in Boston... The number of cans available will not be large, plus he has to outfit his room at the meet.

2. Whether you think it is celebrity status or not, there were a number of pairs reserved for national meet organizers if they choose to buy them, so the 20 possibly available will not start with order no. 1 on Friday. Beyond that, I assume they will be given to the early ordering people who are present.

3. They will ship with regular bowl pads and Todd plans to bring flats for sale at CanJam.

4. The type of cans and the details other than that are going to be kept quiet until the unveiling on Saturday, May 30 at CJ09. I can say, however, that it is not the HF-1 with a new number on it.

5. Maybe grawk got to him early enough, but Todd basically said it is too difficult to take special orders for serial numbers.

Should be good times.

From what you know, without saying too much, should I keep my accidental order (TTVJ) for the Grado Jumbo pads or not? If they ARE similar to PS1000 and they do not have a large treble spike, they "might" work with them. I rather not pay another shipping cost if we find out later that they are optimized for the bowl pads and/or the jumbo pads.

The reason I would want the Jumbo pads is for a larger soundstage/airier sound but mainly for comfort.

From what you know, without saying too much, should I keep my accidental order (TTVJ) for the Grado Jumbo pads or not? If they ARE similar to PS1000 and they do not have a large treble spike, they "might" work with them. I rather not pay another shipping cost if we find out later that they are optimized for the bowl pads and/or the jumbo pads.

The reason I would want the Jumbo pads is for a larger soundstage/airier sound but mainly for comfort.

I don't have any idea how they sound with any of the pad options. I plan to buy flats with mine and I have never liked those jumbo bagel pads on GS1000s or other Grados.