New CDs for CanJam 09

justin

this sounds damn good, too:

udcd627.gif

Yes indeed. The drum kit solo on Take Five is killer :D

Another one which despite being an audiophile label disc has great music and playing in it:

51VYV8ASF9L._SS500_.jpg

I have the CD version. If the SACD sounds as good or even better, terrific disc to demo how natural reverb and instrument position sounds like.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have a copy of the Fairfield Four "Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray" as Ray always uses it in his meet system so the comparison might be useful.

It is also a fantastic sounding CD, Track 2 is a real "Wow" song with huge soundstage and very well recorded vocals.

x2 on The Fairfield Four.

Both The Trinity Sessions and Trinity Revisited (Cowboy Junkies) are great live recordings.

Bill Evans - Live at the Village Vanguard is an impressive recording.

Good rock can really make the Omegas shine as well. I really like the Pixies MFSL SACDs (I have only heard Surfer Rosa, Doolittle). Surfer Rosa is stunning on the Omega 2.

Megadeth Countdown to Extinction is another good sounding MFSL disc. (Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction - Gold CD).

My favorite jazz album in the AP SACD series: Lee Morgan - Lee-Way (Lee Morgan - Lee-way - Hybrid Stereo SACD). I haven't heard the SACD, but the 45 sounds exceptional. But the SACD is a proper DSD transfer by Hoffman so it's probably good too.

Obviously I'm not a big fan of boring audiophile music :)

Ditto on Megadeth. Nothing shows off a properly driven SR-007 then some complex metal at high volume. :)

There's actually something better, full choir & military band, in this case the Red Army Choir and Band.

There's huge dynamics on some of the tracks combined with a very dense & complex mix. The Song of the Volga Boatman is almost guaranteed to cause severe compresssion & distortion on damn near anything when played at a realistic volume, that is to say "postjack loud". My K340's are hopeless, the RS-1 can get the dynamics but suffers a lot of colourations while my Senn 580 compresses the dynamics with some mild distortion. I need to bug someone with an SR-007 to see if it can handle the abuse.

Amazon.com: Russian Favourites: Vasily Agapkin, Boris Aleksandrov, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich, Anonymous, Russian Anonymous, Matvey Blanter, Lev Konstantinovich Knipper, N. Kool, A. Novikov, Yury Alexandrovich Shaporin, Vasily Pavlovich Solovyov-Sedoy,

Don't buy the "best of" CD even though it has some of the same songs as this one, the sound quality on that one is crap.

Another recommendation would be "Whites Off Earth Now!!" by the Cowboy Junkies, available on hybrid SACD. I find the recording's a lot more dynamic & immediate than the "Trinity Session" album which everyone raves about, but which I feel is over-rated having heard "Whites" and been to a couple concerts at the church where "Trinity" was recorded.

Last one for now would be Dvorak's Slavonic Dances, so far I've heard 3 versions and the one below is the best one. The violins, especially in track 5 are great for showing up colourations & resonances in closed headphones, they go honky and don't sound like violins anymore. Sound quality isn't perfect, but it's more than good enough for demo needs and it's by far the best performance & interpretation of the music.

Amazon.com: Dvorak: Slavonic Dances, Op. 46 & Op. 72: Antonin Dvorak, Zdenek Kosler, Slovakia Philharmonic Orchestra: Music

One SACD also springs to mind, The Who - Tommy. It really shows that the SR-007 can throw a large(ish) soundstage when called for.

There's actually something better, full choir & military band, in this case the Red Army Choir and Band.

I do have some people from the Baltic states working for me so I guess it's time to ask them for some tips and to source some CD's for me.

I was looking for something in the 'World' category and came across this Analogue Productions release...is anyone familiar with it? Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting By The River - Hybrid Stereo SACD

the regular cd by itself sounds damn good (and has great music).

This is a great CD, but to me sounds much better on speakers than through headphones, due to the fairly extreme horizontal separation of Cooder - Percussion - Bhatt.

I was looking for something in the 'World' category and came across this Analogue Productions release...is anyone familiar with it? Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting By The River - Hybrid Stereo SACD

That is an absolutely amazing disc. However, the recorded volume is actually very low and you really have to push the dial to get decent volume.

I have almost all of Ry Cooders discs.

If you want my absolute favourite one, get this and you'll be in guitar maestro heaven:

Talking Timbuktu

Ali Farka Toure, Ry Cooder

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Timbuktu-Ali-Farka-Tour