JH Audio stuffs

atothex

anyone use the jh-13 portably with the pico slim? line-out or just straight out of the HP port?

how big of a difference does it make? considering getting a pico slim myself to pair with sansa clip+ and jh-13

Assuming I remember, I'll let you know how it works with clip+ in couple of days when I'll have access to mine. I generally use my jh13 with pico slim or straight out of iPod, and the volume control in pico slim is just fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a rest from using JH13 for a while to see if that would help with the issues (most likely tinnitus) I've started having with my ear(s) after using them (or IEM in general). It hasn't - I still can't listen to them for too long before they start to bother me. Is there reason(s) why IEM would do this but not regular headphones? I'm starting to wonder about the used market on JH13 as I just can't use them enough anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

After hearing a bunch of gear this weekend, it's clear there's still a balance issue with my JH13s. On my last attempt to fix I was so happy just to get the leads in semi-position (so much better than before when balance could be off 20 degrees), and willfully wished not to send back a fifth time, I ignored the obvious. Why I didn't think about adjusting them in the ears (right pulled out a bit) to see if I could align center I'm not sure. Once centered (even if seal in jeopardy), they sounded sooo much better. Recommended getting another impression, so two new sets going out to JHA tomorrow. Pick the best set Jerry! Please oh please get it right this time. Especially with JH3A/JH16s coming soon.

imagekfle.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the Facebooks...

"I have finally officially heard from our manufacturer with delivery details on the 3A.  We will have enough amps to fill all orders within 30 days from today (Feb. 17, 2011).  

I know that we have previously posted similar delivery notifications but this is a solid and confirmed correspondence from the manufacturer.

Thanks for your patience.

The JHAudio Team"

I'm sad to say my 13Pro/custom IEM dream has come to an end, I finally had to admit defeat and sold them on HF yesterday. I feel like I should relate the story and reasons to those who might be interested, sorry if it's too lengthy.

Last summer when I first got the 13Pro's it seemed like I was only in need of a minor refit, unfortunately that was not to be. After my 3rd refit I believe it was, I found I had a channel imbalance with the low bass and at the same time I developed a bad case of TMJ that has been causing quite a bit of pain in my left ear around where the first bend is. The TMJ related pain was a concern but I had been hopeful that because the left IEM was a bit short and didn't quite reach the area that was painful that I'd be able to get away with using them.

Despite the fact that under certain conditions like opening my mouth wide or a certain way I would push them in that I was able to get the balance right, even after a few more refits and testing the imbalance persisted. The last time they were there Jerry said they tested fine and suggested that I look at getting new impressions because he felt the solution was to make them longer. I didn't really feel that was an option because, for one, I was only ever able to find one local audiologist who would do the impressions and at a premium charge at that, so to get new ones from someone different I'd have to go to the mainland with an expected cost in the region of a few hundred dollars. Also, while getting new impressions may very well have been the answer I really didn't think my ear would be able to handle anything longer that would be hitting up against the part of my ear that has been so bothersome. It was about this point my frustration with the process and the amount of money I had been sinking into them took over and I seriously started to contemplate cutting my losses.

When I expressed these concerns with getting new impressions Jerry suggested I try some sort of Comply wrap to see if that helped. After 3 weeks of not seeing anything in the mail I emailed to see if they had been sent, coincidentally they just got them back in stock and sent them out that day. In frustration I decided to put them up for sale, I hadn't totally written off the idea of finding a solution but figured if I found someone to buy them it might be for the best as I was really starting to resent them and the whole process.

I got the "wraps" about a week later and while isolation increased they didn't do anything to solve the balance issue I was having. I emailed Jerry with these findings, to which asked about the rest of my system and wondered if it might be cables. I replied that I didn't think it was cables because I had initially been using a Pico DAC/Amp between home and work with different USB cables and was now using a separate Pico Slim and Pico DAC with the same results. In addition they had already replaced a faulty IEM cable which didn't help the balance problem. Despite there being multiple recipients to that email I never got a reply.

When I was able to get the 13Pro's to work for me I absolutely loved them and they would have been the perfect solution for me. If it wasn't for the pain in my left ear I might have pursued getting new impressions but I'm honestly not sure, after over six months and a couple of hundred in shipping costs, regardless of my ear, I was feeling rather frustrated with the whole process and reluctant about starting it over again and having to sink a lot more money into them.

Maybe in the future if I can get my ear problems to subside I'll look at customs again, for now I'm going to have to stick with shallower insertion universals like my Triple.Fi's and instead of high-end customs I'm looking at building a home rig again. It's too bad that JH Audio doesn't have some sort of high-end universal, even with an expected reduction in sound quality I think a universal 13Pro and/or 16Pro could potentially be a killer product. It seems like the universal 13Pro they send out would be close but it would need some refinement in ergonomics to make it more user friendly and so users could get a more consistent fit.

Thanks guys, I ship out the 13Pro's tomorrow (holiday here today) and it looks like from the tracking I should be getting the LCD-2's tomorrow as well, that should help ease the disappointment. It kind of sucks that I won't have the SQ at work I had hoped for but in the long run I don't really get to listen very critically there anymore.

manaox2, did you end up having to sell customs as well?

Ric, I wish you the best of luck with the refit, I really hope it works out for you this time.

Sorry to hear of this, elnero. I've been thinking of during the same due to issue with my right ear (most likely tinnitus). I'm still holding onto slim hope that an audiologist can offer some solution once I can get an appointment, but we'll see. At least I've still got my speakers and they don't bother my ears.

Thanks guys, I ship out the 13Pro's tomorrow (holiday here today) and it looks like from the tracking I should be getting the LCD-2's tomorrow as well, that should help ease the disappointment. It kind of sucks that I won't have the SQ at work I had hoped for but in the long run I don't really get to listen very critically there anymore.

It might be for the best. I know that when I put my JH13's on, I am pretty much lost in the music for an hour, minimum. I'm not sure how well that would mesh with most "work" situations. And the LCD2 is no slouch, it's a damn fine sounding headphone, one of the best ever.

manaox2, did you end up having to sell customs as well?

Yep, UE11. According to some audio blogs, I was the second known person to ever sell a custom fit IEM. After I saw the rush for the first pair to go on sale, I jumped, I had been fed up for a while with bad refits. I did go through several remakes and new impressions.

Edited by manaox2