JH Audio stuffs

atothex

The usb is 16/44 -48 limited...
Wait, what? So we would need to somehow get the signal converted to S/PDIF without losing resolution if we wanted full resolution of, for example, our HDTracks and Linn records purchases (and needledrops)?
So what are the actual functions of the amp in its final state? The only time I heard it was when the computer was doing the EQ. Is that done via controls on the amp now?
I think Monkey's question wasn't really answered -- if my understanding was correct, the amp does the crossover, the correction, and EQ, but the controls are in the computer, so the computer "tells" the JH3A what to do, and then you can disconnect it. Not sure if the JH3A has any controls on it at all. Is this still the case? Looking at the JH3A page(s), it looks like it has digitally controlled volume and bass boost controls.

My JH16/3a was delivered today & sent back a hour after I got them.

After waiting a year for them ,I opened the box to the wrong color (translucent blue which was what I ordered at CJ,but later changed to translucent Black & was doublechecked a month before with Jamie).

I ordered a 64 inch cable & recieved a 48 inch cable plus no hoodie in the box which was promised.

The color wasn't a deal breaker for me ,but the cable length was ,as cable length makes a differance in final tuning of the 3a I sent the whole package back on my dime.

I was also charged $50 for art work at CJ for the JHA flying logo which should have been for free.

All will be taken care of after speaking with Jamie,Black translucent with carbon fiber

face plate(to make up for the $50 charge for the flying logo) & red flying logos.

The right 64inch cable & hoodie.

I didn't post this on Headfi because I know a lot of negative responses from trollers, But I had to vent.

So another week of waiting.

The cable makes a difference to the tuning? What tuning are they doing? Are they actually doing measurements on each set and getting them perfectly phase and frequency response correct? If so I really really want a set.....

Wait, what? So we would need to somehow get the signal converted to S/PDIF without losing resolution if we wanted full resolution of, for example, our HDTracks and Linn records purchases (and needledrops)?I think Monkey's question wasn't really answered -- if my understanding was correct, the amp does the crossover, the correction, and EQ, but the controls are in the computer, so the computer "tells" the JH3A what to do, and then you can disconnect it. Not sure if the JH3A has any controls on it at all. Is this still the case? Looking at the JH3A page(s), it looks like it has digitally controlled volume and bass boost controls.

Dusty all DSP resides in the 3a as it does not need to be connected to a computer and can take an analog signal and ADC perform DSP then DAC to amps. The computer was used in a mock up at canjam chicago with the end state being a stand alone unit. Yes a computer is used to load the template into the 3a but after that it is not needed. DSP parameters are not user editable at this point.

as to usb yes it is limited to 44 and 48 with a mini spdif that Moon Audio is building me an adapter for to get me from the Halide Bridge to the digital input.

Chris yes Jerry tunes each one for phase and frequency response

My JH16/3a was delivered today & sent back a hour after I got them.

After waiting a year for them ,I opened the box to the wrong color (translucent blue which was what I ordered at CJ,but later changed to translucent Black & was doublechecked a month before with Jamie).

I ordered a 64 inch cable & recieved a 48 inch cable plus no hoodie in the box which was promised.

The color wasn't a deal breaker for me ,but the cable length was ,as cable length makes a differance in final tuning of the 3a I sent the whole package back on my dime.

I was also charged $50 for art work at CJ for the JHA flying logo which should have been for free.

All will be taken care of after speaking with Jamie,Black translucent with carbon fiber

face plate(to make up for the $50 charge for the flying logo) & red flying logos.

The right 64inch cable & hoodie.

I didn't post this on Headfi because I know a lot of negative responses from trollers, But I had to vent.

So another week of waiting.

sorry to hear this, did you get a listen prior to packing it up? I was really looking forward to hearing your impressions as I am full on in love with the 3a at the moment.

They really do need to a better job of tracking changes to orders. I did not get my hoodie as well but did not speak to them about this yet.

No I didn't get to listen to it as I was at work,I only tried the earpieces for fit for a few secounds.

I never took the amp out of its packing.It was only in my possesion for a hour before I shipped it back after speaking with Jamie who was apoligetic.I did congratulate her on her wedding.

I brought my Ipad charger to work to charge the 3a ,so I could listen to it tonight,but just shipped it out right away instead.

Edited by bozebuttons

Sorry to hear Boze.

Shit, I changed my color and cable length (actually they took the option away and reintroduced) since the original order, they have three different sets of impressions and five refits of previous JH13 to compare (all but one of each they shouldn't), they've screwed up my email address twice recently and my home and work addresses have changed in the last year. And yes, I've confirmed each of those through email and on the phone. Anyone placing odds mine arrives fine? :wacko:

Edited by blessingx

Got a voice mail from zac yesterday saying that my amp was ready, just needed to send my artwork. Eeek. I don't have it. The artist had sent the hi-rez version to them directly for my jh13s a couple years ago. Sent an email, but I don't know if it even exists at this point. :( Meanwhile, more waiting. :(:(

Vicki, if you can't find a higher resolution graphic, you may want to try Vector Magic. I just ran your avatar through it (actually from the other site as avatar slightly larger) and was unsuccessful getting a smooth vector unfortunately, but they have a 'hand-drawn' service, and after answering a few question (how many colors, etc.), it came out as $22 in this case. The results will be far from perfect, but considering the size of the endpoint (an IEM shell) it may work. I've had success in the past using smaller images, turning them into vectors and then blowing them up for posters, etc. Your avatar is pretty small, but at lest it's basic colors and flat.

http://vectormagic.com

Bad example (why you may want to go with the service):

vicki.gif

Edited by blessingx

Brent, since you took such an interest in my decision to consider the JH3A, I wanted to let you know that upon further reflection, I will likely just have them re-case my 13's and not add the 3A. I don't think I would get much use out of it. If I am home and listening to music, I use my speakers.

Vicki, I hope you can locate the file you need. The chances of JHA having it or slim and none.

On some further thought I'm sticking with what I have. If I really want to do what he's doing I could with a little work on my end since Slim server and Foobar both have a FIR plugin.

Great tech though and pretty reasonable considering it has to have 3 amp stages and 3 separate DACs in it (don't know of any 24bit depth/192 multiple DAC per chip setups).

On some further thought I'm sticking with what I have. If I really want to do what he's doing I could with a little work on my end since Slim server and Foobar both have a FIR plugin.

Great tech though and pretty reasonable considering it has to have 3 amp stages and 3 separate DACs in it (don't know of any 24bit depth/192 multiple DAC per chip setups).

I think there are actually quite a few 6 or more channel dac chips. Home theater sorta encouraged that. I know buffalo makes one, and I'm pretty sure several others do as well. That's why good cheap 8-channel pro adc/dacs exist these days.

I think there are actually quite a few 6 or more channel dac chips. Home theater sorta encouraged that. I know buffalo makes one, and I'm pretty sure several others do as well. That's why good cheap 8-channel pro adc/dacs exist these days.

You mean ESS right? I thought that was limited to 24/96 for the 8 channel usage. I just checked and I'm totally wrong though :palm:

Vicki, if JHA doesn't have the file, I suggest contacting the artist. He/she would almost certainly have it.

Done. He hasn't been around lately, so I just didn't know. He responded to my email within minutes and all's good. Talked with Zac today, and my 3A/16 should be shipping out as I type.

it looks like the 3a is 24/96 SPDIF, not that it is a big deal to me as 99% of my stuff is 24/96 or lower and the Halide Bridge that I plan to use is also 24/96.

Vicki this is great news, I hope the fit is great from the get go mine was a bit tight but my ears adjusted after a few days. Hope to hear your thoughts this weekend. The usb out of my macbook pro sounds great although that is limited to 16/44 or 16/48

Edited by jp11801

They put a picture of your jh3a set on facebook

db47575d753d4ebafcb9b3b8df00509d

it looks like the 3a is 24/96 SPDIF, not that it is a big deal to me as 99% of my stuff is 24/96 or lower and the Halide Bridge that I plan to use is also 24/96.

JP, mind if I ask how you figured out the 192/96 discrepancy? My brain is cloudy, but I seem to remember a year ago this spec went back and forth. Wonder if it does 88.2?

Edited by blessingx