JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Nice! The only thing that worries me slightly is the possibility of them losing their visceral impact. I don't know, but sometimes I feel that spaciousness sort of softens the blow. But well... guess that's me just being overly worried.

You know, I would have said the same thing, but I found the JH13FP actually more impactive than the normal JH13. It's like the time alignment gave it a more portent slam. 

Neither is flat 13= medium bass lift 16= large bass lift, neither obscures the mids like other iems I've heard with more pronounced bass. I like the mids on the 13 better than the 16 but it could be differences in fit influencing this.

I had the two and I also liked the 13 mids better, jh16 was a bit sibilant but I also had a bit of fit issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do I come to this thread?  I bought the 13s and sold everything else I owned, and that was that.  Now there are NEW 13s, and apparently the new 16s are better than the old ones as well.  Jesus Christ.

Jerry Harvey always did two things well: phase and ladies.  Since I bought my 13s he's improved the phase and fired his wife.   

If he hadn't been such a dick to Mike, I'd be all in for this.  As it stands, my loyalties are divided.

• Like 1

Why do I come to this thread?  I bought the 13s and sold everything else I owned, and that was that.  Now there are NEW 13s, and apparently the new 16s are better than the old ones as well.  Jesus Christ.

Jerry Harvey always did two things well: phase and ladies.  Since I bought my 13s he's improved the phase and fired his wife.   

If he hadn't been such a dick to Mike, I'd be all in for this.  As it stands, my loyalties are divided.

Are you happy with your old JH13's?  If so, then just listen and enjoy, and don't sweat the details.

In my case I loved the old JH13Pro but they left me wishing for just a little bit more, and the JH16Pro freqphase do it for me.

• 2 months later...

I listened to 13FPs and 3A/16FP this weekend at CanLanta. Maybe it was just getting a better seal with the 3A rig, but REALLY dug them compared to the 13FP. I listened to the 5s for the first time, and I forget who it was, but a friend had told me "you won't be happy with the 5s, get the 13s." In my case, he was right. Nothing wrong with the 5s at all, but they didn't reach out and grab me like my initial experience with the 13s back in 09, or like the 3A did this weekend.

All impressions are with universal fit JH|Products... no pun intended.

**BRENT**

That's encouraging regarding the 3A/16 combo.  Does anyone have a guess as to what's going on technically with the 3A/16s to improve upon the sound from the FP 13s?  Could it be just a more neutral frequency response?  Perhaps the 3A DAC was superior to whatever the 13s were hooked up to?  Could the 3A manage to make the driver phase alignment better yet?   

Jerry told me that the 3A does improve further on the phase alignment, but that the FreqPhase was closer to the 3A results than he'd initially expected.  He can still adjust the timing/phase of the amps and drivers via programming, just no active crossover anymore.

I still find the universal fit demos of any custom IEM difficult to seal, and they don't give me consistent sound quality with too much change in sound as I shift them and try to get them in a better position with a seal.  So, I found it hard to compare the JH16-3A to the JH13 or JH16 FreqPhase at RMAF 2012.  I could not honestly say how much better the 3A was to the non-3A JH16Pro at RMAF, but overall I was slightly more immersed in the sound with the 3A rig.  It may have been placebo, or it may have changed if I'd gone back and refitted the non-3A JH16 again for a better seal the next time around.

The main thing I liked the most about the 3A demo was that the bass level control could crank up the bass impact quite a bit without hurting the proper blending of the mid and upper-bass into the lower midrange.  The frequency that the 3A bass control was centered around wasn't too low (like JH13 50Hz hump) or too high (like UE11Pro upper bass hump).

In the end, I wanted my custom IEM to be truly portable, and the 3A with it's extra bulk and short battery life wasn't what I was looking for.  Having to use a bulky cable adapter on the cable to go directly out of an iPhone in a phone case wasn't going to work either.

EDIT to add that my custom fit JH16 FreqPhase sound quite a bit better than the demo set did at RMAF, even though I enjoyed the demos.  I may actually have preferred my JH13 original sauce to either of the FreqPhase demos due to the better seal and isolation.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

They were telling me 6, 7, or 8 hours. There is an adapter you can use to go straight to a 3.5mm jack. It wouldn't be much worse than the Stax 002s with the amp/dac combo, but is a little more than some of the other options out there.

FWIW, if you were wondering, the 3A DAC doesn't work off an iPad these days.

**BRENT**

I have to look more, but I cannot locate my JH13s or TTVJ Slim amp. I didn't even think to pack Them for my last trip but looked hard this time and racked my brain for when i used them last. JP's immediate response was that it is a damn good excuse to get some new freq phased JH goodness. The process and gamble are unappealing but I will do it if they are truly lost.

Is the 3A really any less convenient than lugging a DAC/Amp combo around?  How bad is the battery life?

it's less convenient than JH13/iphone

Dan hit this on the head, I'd go JH 13 AK100 combo if I was truly portable mode or 3a- 16 if I just needed a great rig I could move around.