JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I'm not buying them. I'm waiting to see how long this particular love affair lasts. I can easily afford them but I'm really happy with my ER4s.
As an ER-4 lover who's in the queue, I'll let you know what I think when I have mine. May be a few weeks, as I'm in the UK and might not get a chance to ship my impressions over until next week.

Etymotic ER4P were my "reference" IEMs for a while, because they were the only IEMs I heard that provided a satisfying midrange and extended highs. Bass was a bit anemic, but I just accepted at some point that I had to live with it. I've owned a few IEMs (SE530, Westone 3, Shure E4, Altec Lansing im716, Triple.fi 10 Pro) and the ER4P always remained my favorite.

That is, until I heard the JH13. Not only do they eat the Etymotic for breakfast, but they're also some of the best headphones I've heard in general, second to the O2 maybe. But unless you're Kevin Gilmore, you don't have portable O2 rig with you. :P

Etymotic ER4P were my "reference" IEMs for a while, because they were the only IEMs I heard that provided a satisfying midrange and extended highs. Bass was a bit anemic, but I just accepted at some point that I had to live with it. I've owned a few IEMs (SE530, Westone 3, Shure E4, Altec Lansing im716, Triple.fi 10 Pro) and the ER4P always remained my favorite.

That is, until I heard the JH13. Not only do they eat the Etymotic for breakfast, but they're also some of the best headphones I've heard in general, second to the O2 maybe. But unless you're Kevin Gilmore, you don't have portable O2 rig with you. :P

I use the ER4S which have even less bass and I personally find the bass just about right. It is statements about how the JH13 has more bass and comparisons to the O2 which personally make me worried that I would like the JH13. I am a guy who prefers the 4070 to the O2 (I never owned the 4070 but got to use them in my setup for a few hours and there was no doubt I preferred them). Oh how I hated the SE530s and the Westone 3's were even worse.

The JH13 is the single best audio purchase I've made and I've made plenty. :)

it's shit like this that i wish i hadn't read.

why the fuck do i suddenly kinda want these? after bashing brent for months on his fanboyism... :P

i think i'll wait until CJ and see about any sales or maybe just get my fitting done there if i really want them.

What Brent does is irrelevant, but these really are spectacular. They're not O2s. But the ability to get incredible sound using just JH13s and an iphone shouldn't be underestimated.

yeah like at this very moment, i'm thinking about how badass iphone + pico slim + jh13/16 could be.

my brain hurts.

Must be the secret finger bite-block technique.

LOL, the fit on my pair was perfect the first time around and I actually used my index and major finger as a bite block when taking the impressions because the guy didn't have one! You must be on to something.

What Brent does is irrelevant, but these really are spectacular. They're not O2s. But the ability to get incredible sound using just JH13s and an iphone shouldn't be underestimated.

I think the ability to hear high-fidelity music without tethering yourself to your desktop setup is more than enough reason to get the JH13.

is it worth it?

I admit I was a bit skeptical at first towards all the praise these phones were receiving considering my past experiences with IEMs and also considering that most of the people who post in the JH13 thread over there don't have extensive experience with high-end headphones. But at the same time, there were people like boomana, jp#, tyrion, Voltron, Iron_dreamer, etc. who were claiming the JH13 were the real deal and that certainly piqued my curiosity. It's a leap of faith at ~1000$ and the wait between taking the impressions and getting the phones is painful, but in the end I think it's more than worth it. Are they FOTM? They've been out for a year and I have yet to see someone truly disappointed by them. Will they be replaced by a better model eventually? Possibly, but it doesn't change the fact that the JH13 are awesome now and I don't feel like I'm missing anything with them.

IIRC, my status changed to "In the lab" or something along that line after couple of days of "Earmolds Received." Of course, the status on mine didn't change to "Shipped" until the day I received the JH13's (I also didn't receive the shipping notification until the day of arrival) so your mileage my vary.

EDIT - It took 10 calendar days from the date they received my earmolds to receive my pair (w/ 2-day shipping), and there was a little delay on mine since my bank thought it was a fraudulent charge when JH Audio tried to charge my credit card.