Ye Macce Threade

ok need a few pointers I am thinking of selling my 2008 mac mini and 2 MBPs and going with a MB air 13 and a new mac mini server

if I go mac mini server I pick up the better proc but appear to downgrade in vid card. Any thoughts on this move oh and I also pick up the second hard drive in the new mini.

I do agree it's pretty weak they don't let you use any drive in the imac, but maybe there are a lot of genius bar issues based on people replacing their hard drives on their own

We see the absolute most insane crap. Want to replace your hard drive but don't want to remember where you put the screws? Just don't screw the new one in! Three weeks later bring it in and claim it was never opened.

Want to replace the drive but have no idea what the difference between PATA and SATA is? Just physically set the new drive in and don't connect it! Bring it in claiming issues with the battery.

Want to put a condom in the CD slot? Well, sure, I guess so, but why in hell?

Just for clarification to my prior posts. I intend to use my new MBP for surfin' the nets and helping my son do his homework nothing else, and the disc drive will only see audio cds, nothing else.

Edited by Augsburger

Any recommendations for laptop stands for a 15" Macbook Pro. I would plan to have this next to a 20" Apple monitor (using the laptop as a second monitor). I have an external mouse and keyboard. I was looking at the Rain Mstand. I like everything about this except for the fact that it is not as wide and deep as the laptop making it seem a bit unstable. I could imagine myself hitting the side of the laptop and knocking it over.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

I don't want a cheap stand made of plastic. Something sturdy, wood or metal would be good. I want something with a slope so it doesn't take up as much room on the desk.

Any recommendations for laptop stands for a 15" Macbook Pro. I would plan to have this next to a 20" Apple monitor (using the laptop as a second monitor). I have an external mouse and keyboard. I was looking at the Rain Mstand. I like everything about this except for the fact that it is not as wide and deep as the laptop making it seem a bit unstable. I could imagine myself hitting the side of the laptop and knocking it over.

http://www.raindesig...com/mstand.html

I don't want a cheap stand made of plastic. Something sturdy, wood or metal would be good. I want something with a slope so it doesn't take up as much room on the desk.

Claire has one for her MBP and it has been very solid and stable. Nice stand.

I've been using the mStand with my 15" MBP for a while now and it's been rock solid/stable, though admittedly, I've yet to whack the side of my MBP while it's been on the stand. Oh, and I'm not sure if this would matter to you or not, but supposedly, the cable hole in the back isn't large enough to accommodate Apple DVI cable.

We have a couple of those Rain stands, and keep 17" MBPs on them. Perfectly stable, never feels the least bit like they're going to tip over. Not even a wobble. The weight is distributed in such a way that they don't feel the least bit risky at all. And this is with a 3-year-old in the house.

Dueling threads a sign of his influence, but for those that missed it recently...

Steve Jobs’s Best Quotes

“No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” [
]
Edited by blessingx