Ye Macce Threade

The refurb'd 15" MacBook Pro I ordered was on the truck for delivery at 7:30AM this morning and it arrived at ...4:58PM this evening.  FedEx doesn't deliver past 5PM in these parts, so I'm pleased it arrived.  However...

I let it sit for half an hour and warm up a bit.  When I powered it on, there were two nasty red vertical lines running the length of the screen during the boot up screen.  Once the machine had fully booted, I saw there was a third, blue one.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone with AppleCare and I'll be receiving some shipping labels via email.  According to the rep on the phone, I'll be getting a replacement, not a repair.  Since I ordered a refurbished late 2011 15" MBP with an anti-glare screen, I really wonder what I'll be getting as a replacement.  Also, the defective machine I purchased only had 4GB of RAM.  It was my plan to upgrade myself at a later date.  Newer Macintops have RAM soldered to the motherboard.  I know the current MBAs and rMBPs do.  Do the non-retina MBP models still have conventional DIMM slots?  

This has all given me quite the headache.  banghead.gif  I think I'm raiding the Scotch cabinet early tonight.  

Do the non-retina MBP models still have conventional DIMM slots?  

Yes.

And looking at Apple's refurb store section, they've got 3 different anti-glare screen models (including what I believe you ordered) in stock so they're probably just sending you the same model.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

No, the Air is great. 

Edit:  Maybe you meant whether you should get her any kind of computer at all, or maybe an ipad.  Not sure the question but my mom doesn't know much about computers and has an ok time on my old Macbook Pro.  She basically doesn't use much besides a web browser though.  I recently taught her how to put pictures on it.  Hopefully she hasn't forgotten. 

Edited by shellylh

Boo, as you know, some people don't want to deal with learning something new as they get older.  So, if your mom is coming from a PC, she may not like the transition and new learning curve for Mac OS.  But, if you are installing MS Office and she can use that, then it sounds like she is more savvy than my mom-in-law.  What will she use it for?

We gave my wife's mom a Mac a few years back, and she couldn't remember how to use it.  She was only going to use it as a digital answering machine and to surf the web or do email with AOL dialup.  We taught her those two things, plus how to print, and it sat un-used forever.  Then we got a mail-staion just for email, nope.  Then we got her an MSN TV, didn't touch it.  We gave up for several years.

Last year we gave her a 1st gen cellular iPad, and that one she uses.  She reads books on our nook account, checks sports scores, gets email with family photos attached, uses it as a digital picture frame, and surfs the web if needed.  Every 1-2 months I update the apps for her on my wi-fi (to save the 3G data).  At that time I may add new books for her to read in the "nook kids" app (using parental controls so she doesn't open books that we aren't done with and accidentally move our bookmarks.)

BTW, I picked up a Samsung portable external DVD write on Amazon for $25, but you can add apps via App store pretty easily.

She's only had pcs, but she keeps asking me about macs, since she's had continual virus problems, even with software, and has to take it in every few months to get cleaned up. She also has friends who like them, though don't live close enough to sit down with her, which is my concern.<br /><br />I'm going to get her an air today, and do my best to set it up for her. Hopefully, she'll come here in a few weeks and I can get her set up better and teach her what little I know.<br /><br />There is a apple store about 45 minutes from her house. Maybe she can set up a couple classes or genius appointments.

With Mountain Lion the air is much more iPad-like and is likely to become more so with future app and OS upgrades. My air replacement will be another maxed 11" air since I just can't see anything with a much bigger footprint working for me.

Edited by morphsci