Ye Macce Threade

Exactly, Airfoil video player is what you need. I own it and tried it, and it did get the audio to sync up when transmitting video from Macbook to the new Apple TV when using the HDMI DAC built into my HDTV. I assume it would do the same when using the optical digital output as well.

I thought about this for a while, and I recall that without airfoil video player my initial problem was playing quicktime video on my computer with the sound configured to be coming out of the apple TV so as to play through my stereo. Then the sound was late and out of sync with the MBP screen.

Airfoil video player fixed it so that the video on my screen via quicktime player and the audio from my ATV > stereo was sync'd up. I tested this just now, and this is still the case. While trying to watch a Louis CK video via quicktime on the MBP just now, the video is on the MBP screen and it will have delayed audio through the ATV unless I use Airfoil Video Player. Then the video on MBP and audio on the stereo via ATV is in sync.

If I send video from iTunes to Apple TV, then the video only shows on the ATV and there is no lag in the audio.

If I use airplay mirroring to send youtube to the apple TV the video and sound are sync'd together okay on the TV, but both are behind the video on the rMBP screen. Not a problem if I'm only looking at the TV and not the MBP screen. Interestingly the longer the youtube video plays with airplay mirroring the less the lag becomes.

• 2 weeks later...

It just sucks.  Old iTunes was clunky and slow, but there was a certain logic to it and it basically just worked.  (Search on the store was a tragedy, though).  This update smacks of the old, bad apple ways in that there's a lot of superficial change for change's sake.  There's a little bit of a learning curve; it still seems clunky; and it just tries to do too much.  What happened to Apple's discipline in defining a product by what it leaves out as extraneous?

Sometimes my wife surprises me.  We've been wanting an iMac upgrade for so long, that instead of the usual "buy the cheapest one and hope it's not obsolete in 3 years" she went for the high end 21.5" iMac with 16GB RAM and Fusion Drive.  She wants to get 6 years out of it like the last one, and it will ship in 7-10 business days.  She makes more money than me so I can't say boo about it, but I still have to pay for the dog's surgery next month.  Oh well, after this I think we'll all be happier.

I was really bummed that Apple dropped the 7200 rpm HD for a 5400, because I can definitely tell a difference with those.  It's likely a move by Apple to push people into the faster more expensive Fusion drive.  On top of that, Apple won't offer the Fusion drive on the less expensive iMac, only the high end 21.5" - to drive sales in that direction of course.  And, you can't upgrade the RAM yourself without voiding the warranty, nor will Apple upgrade the RAM, so you have to order it with 16GB if you want it to be more "future proof".  With the 2011 iMacs, you could buy the 4GB model and the Apple Store would upgrade it right there to 8GB for $200.  Not any more.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

My highest concerns about the new iMac come from the Nvidia GPUs. Their chips get darn hot, I had not 2 but 3 of their GPUs going fubar and damaging the mobo on my computer, which has worked more than 5 years without any "serious" problem once I moved to an ATI chipset GPU.

It's possible Apple decided to go with the 5400 rpm HDD to avoid excessive heating. The 7200 ones get pretty warm under heavy use.