Ye Macce Threade

Well, I bought the 11" air: 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz,4GB memory, 128GB flash storage,Intel HD Graphics 4000. I also got the microsoft office suite, a year of one-on-one help/lessons, apple care, and a neoprene sleeve.

The screen will be fine for my mom as she's used to a small laptop already (13" I think). She wanted something lightweight for travel, and was talking about netbooks, but I know that's not what she wants. I may get her an ipad later, but she wants a computer. I also bought the microsoft office suite and had them put it on, so it will be there when she gets it. The one-on-one personal help sessions will be great because she can use them in Dallas (Apple Store right near my brother), Florida (one near me), or at home, even if the store there is an hour away. I'm excited for her to get this. Talking with my brothers, we all agreed, if she knew any one of us bought it for her alone, she'd majorly stress out about the expense, ruining the otherwise perfect gift. We're all, including the grandkids, going to put our names on it, and I know that the real fun for her will be her telling all her friends,"Look what my kids got me." She's one of those old-school mommas who gives everything to everyone else, doesn't want anything for herself, and rarely gets to be the recipient of something this cool. I wish I could be there when she opens it. Now if I can only stop her from buying one herself in the next couple weeks.......

• Like 1

So it turns out my generous father will get me a puter this xmas.  I'm thinking either the rmbp 15, imac 27, or MBA 13.  My gut says rmbp 15.  What says the hive mind?

I'm very happy with my 16/768 retina MBP, but my wife's 21.5" new iMac with 16GB + Fusion Drive is pretty darn speedy too.  The MBA 13" screen was a little difficult for me to read, but they do seem pretty zippy if you've got good eyes.

So it turns out my generous father will get me a puter this xmas. I'm thinking either the rmbp 15, imac 27, or MBA 13. My gut says rmbp 15. What says the hive mind?

If it is the only Mac in your new place, then I would not opt for 11" Air. I can use mine for lots of things but it would make me nuts if that was the biggest computer screen in the house. I think I would go with Air 13" if you intend to travel with it too. The rMBP would be cool but I agree with others that it is starting to feel like a burden to carry a regular sized laptop.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I guess it doesn't bother me as I use a 24" external monitor if I need the real estate, which I absolutely do quite a bit. Oh, and I wasn't trying to be snarky. I was actually a bit surprised when I looked as there was a more substantial difference between the two when I bought mine.

Edited by morphsci

For some reason, I was cutting out the 13" rMBP from consideration.  So here we go, I am narrowing down to:

- 13" MBA

- 13" rMBP

- 15" rMPB

I still like the idea of a desktop, but I guess I can address that at another time or just get a big screen.  Of the above, the 13" rMBP seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of portability and screen deliciousness.