Ye Macce Threade

I've now tried both Crucial and whatever it is that Apple is forcing down our throats.  I'm really unimpressed with the "Genius" support I received.  Now I need to decide if I go back to the store or if I try to deal over the phone.  I'm thinking the latter since it's a BTO and they won't be able to swap it out at the store anyway.  Fucking idiots.

Can you get into the BIOS? This page seems to think it's "Cmd"/"Opt"/"O"/"F" all four at the same time.

If it's like any other Intel BIOS, it'll be an ultra-simple menu -- no mouse, just arrow keys and Escape and Enter and not much more. Look for "Hardware" or "Memory" or something, then see if the slots are activated, iActuated, or whatever the Apple term for it is. (They may or may not have written their own firmware.) I'd be happy to talk you through it if want handheld, we just need to set up a time.

Oh, hey, look, when I research the topic, I get you over here.

So my fuckin' iMac still won't recognize 2 slots worth of RAM when all 4 slots are filled.  Fuckers.  Apple Store was really useless.  Need to call AppleCare and try to get a new machine.  Fuck.

AAAAA AAAAA AAA, AAAAA AAAA!

I wonder if Apple has a way now of enforcing their own memory modules be used... I assume these are non-Apple purchased?

FWIW I have always used non-Apple memory in my mac stuff.

Monkey - did you try putting the two sticks that work into the two slots that appear not to work? (are all four sticks are the same size?) Also some macs have an upper limit on how much RAM they can address, IIRC.

Every combo I have tried ends up not recognizing more than 16GB of RAM and reports back 2 of 4 slots empty when all 4 are populated.  This occurs with Apple RAM, Crucial and any combo thereof.  Fuck. 

EDIT: But I can put one DIMM in any slot and have it recognized and boot fine, basically proving that the DIMMS are good and the slots are good, but they're not all getting along for whatever stupid-ass computer mumbojumbo reason.

32GB is certainly overkill for me, but 16GB isn't, at least in my recent Mac past, and I really don't do much.  But a big Aperture library, a bunch of browser tabs and a few other apps and all of sudden things bog down.

Regardless, I could easily live with the 16GB, but now my concern is there is something bigger going on that will lead to other probs down the road.

32GB is nice if one is regularly editing HD videos.  A I guy I know has an active YouTube channel where he regularly makes 1080p videos that are 30-40min long.  He says that 32GB is "usually" enough for the task.  IIRC, he has a 4-core i7.  Of course, the above is an exception and not the rule.

Brought the iMac to the Apple Store today where they agreed it was the logic board that needed to be replaced, so they placed the order and I signed off on the repair and left the machine at the store.  Then, a few hours later, the store called and said they had decided to offer me a replacement machine instead.  I said of course YOU BETCHA.  I'm pleased with that result.

Brought the iMac to the Apple Store today where they agreed it was the logic board that needed to be replaced, so they placed the order and I signed off on the repair and left the machine at the store.  Then, a few hours later, the store called and said they had decided to offer me a replacement machine instead.  I said of course YOU BETCHA.  I'm pleased with that result.

What about the build to order?