Ye Macce Threade

Having gone from a non-r 13" MBP to a non-r 15" MBP with the higher-res screen, I quite enjoy the extra elbow room I have.  My main purposes are pretty specific: editing photos in remote locations and DJing.  For both of them, extra pixels really make a difference.  As a bonus, the 15" has a much (much) better video card and I can actually do some gaming when I'm not at my desk.  I've recently taken to Driver: San Francisco and Borderlands 2.  The old 13" didn't have a prayer of running either of them.

...of course, none of the above really pertains to the mini-monkey.gif

• Like 1

a lot of my hard drives were formatted to ntfs. upon recently acquiring an airport extreme (and wanting to use it as a file server) i formatted all the drives to mac os x journaled format so the AE could recognize it. quite a few files were set to hidden on my windows machine which i can still view but i don't know how to unhide them permanently by changing the file permissions. they all sit in one folder. are there any tools that are available that can do it in a batch? failing that, are there any tools that allow my to do that one by one? right clicking on the folder and clicking on "get info" didn't yield anything of use. 

you have to manually turn on the left column / bottom info stuff again, its hidden by default

my main gripe is that my album view only seems to be white, I like the dark background.

i think coverflow is gone completely?

i like album view w/out left column stuff, but I dont like that playlists can't be viewed in album view.

Edited by aardvark baguette

Next week the show I work for is needing to capture a webpage as a live event is going down.  I've seen people do this with tutorials so I know it can't be that hard.  Anyone have a suggestion (both free or paid) as to what would be my best bet for the Mac?  Work computer is running Snow Leopard - dont' really want to tie up mine capturing this.  We will be taking the file and editing it with FCP.  

Thanks.

I believe Apple's built in Quicktime player has a screen recording feature that might fit the bill?

I'm on Mountain Lion though so I'm not sure if the Snow Leopard version of Quicktime has the same feature.

Edited by TMoney

I believe Apple's built in Quicktime play has a screen recording feature that might fit the bill?

I'm on Mountain Lion though so I'm not sure if the Snow Leopard version of Quicktime has the same feature.

I remember using Quicktime Player's Screen Recording feature while I was still on Snow Leopard, so I think there should be no problems.

(In Quicktime, File -> New Screen Recording; options can be selected by pressing the down arrow on the right side of the black interface)

Edited by Nanoha

Another alternative is iShowU for capturing the screen, but it seems to be processor dependent i.e. whether the higher resolutions that you capture will be captured for smooth or jerky in playback.  However, the update I just installed claims to be 2x as fast (I don't have the HD version).

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-v1/

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-hd/

Gene here is what I did.

Purchased brand new drive A and formatted it to OS X journaled.

Copied everything from ntfs formatted drive B to drive A.

Files on drive A are hidden. Need to unhide them.

Files on drive C were then copied to drive B and drive C was formatted. Cascaded this until all drives were formatted to OS X format.

I used the disk utility in mountain lion.

All drives have only one partition.

Edited by crappyjones123

Ah ... I missed that you were copying all the files - thought you just formatted, and had junk left.  So, if I understand correctly, you have hidden windows files taking up space on your os x drives.   hmmmm, what did you use to do the copying?  A cloner like Super Duper or Carbon Copy? 

CJ ... Try this - it works for me.

Open Terminal and copy/paste:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder

This allows all hidden files to be visible in Finder. You can delete them using the normal GUI way with Finder.  Then back to Terminal and copy/paste:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE; killall Finder

This will get you back to normal.

Thanks gene.

I just copy pasted the files over. No fancy program. Macs can read ntfs drives but not write to them. I wanted to write to the drives as well hence the entire cascade format event.

I might not have explained correctly. The files are unhidden and I can see them after using the command you posted. I don't want to delete them. I simply want to change their attributes from hidden to unhidden permanently so they look like any other file and then turn off the see hidden files feature. I want to keep all the files - just have them all be visible in regular view mode.

I wouldnt even care if to open them I didn't have to right click on them every time and select a program manually where with regular files one can just double click.

Another alternative is iShowU for capturing the screen, but it seems to be processor dependent i.e. whether the higher resolutions that you capture will be captured for smooth or jerky in playback.  However, the update I just installed claims to be 2x as fast (I don't have the HD version).

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-v1/

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-hd/

Does it do audio as well?  Quicktime did not do audio on my test grab...