Ye Macce Threade

Brought the iMac to the Apple Store today where they agreed it was the logic board that needed to be replaced, so they placed the order and I signed off on the repair and left the machine at the store.  Then, a few hours later, the store called and said they had decided to offer me a replacement machine instead.  I said of course YOU BETCHA.  I'm pleased with that result.

I wasn't expecting less than a new machine from Apple service, the replacement offer didn't sound "proper". Good to know, thanks for sharing the experience, and congrats, I wish the new one works fine :)

I've used SuperDuper for few years now with no issues.  You should be able to use SuperDuper with your Time Machine backups, though this creates a disk image so you won't be able to look through the files in the backup.  Also, iirc, if you go the disk image route, SuperDuper will have to backup the whole thing each time, as opposed to updating only things that changed (which it can do if provided with its own partition/drive).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I switched to SuperDuper years ago when CCC was still having issues with stealing huge chunks of hard drive space if you aborted a clone, and haven't gone back.

It's nice because you can create all kinds of bootable clones, some with all the files or some with only certain files that you want to put on a new machine.  So you can clone a 750GB Mac onto a 500GB drive by de-selecting the iTunes Media Folder or some of the users that you don't need.

I also like that I can do a really fast incremental clone of my 3TB iTunes external drive onto a 3TB backup to keep off-site.  When I used CCC years ago I could not clone a non-bootup drive.