Ye Macce Threade

The larger the screen the more reflections.

Actually, pulled up the NYTimes on both and still text advantages with the rMBP. Doubt the screen has changed on the new MBA, so its screen still quite usable, but if you were doing lots of reading... like in college..

Edited by blessingx

Just my opinion but I really do not see an advantage of the rMBP over the MBA except the screen for most people. I'll take the weight savings every time, even with my seriously old eyes, and I do a lot of reading on the MBA.

Edited by morphsci

I'm a little perplexed because I didn't know until recently that the rMBP jettisoned the hard drive.  Flash is cool and all, but i think it should at least be an option.  I agree that she could easily make do with the MBA screen (and has throughout her HS that used them for everything--reading materials, notes, email, BBs, etc), and I am hard pressed to understand any other advantage of the rMBP for a typical student.  I have to discuss further with her.

The only way she will want the rMBP over the MBA is if she uses the retina screen for any length of time.  Hard to explain, but it is just difficult to go back.  I love this machine.  But if you don't get hooked in the first place...The MBA is where the value is and it is seriously portable, which will be very, very important to a student.

Of course, I couldn't even tell you where the entrance to the library is on that campus, but that's another story...

I was thinking there was a MBA with retina display, that'd be ideal  >:D  Now seriously the weight isn't that different just 300grs. Battery life seems to be way larger, specially the 13" MBA.

For a bit more money you can swap the HDD in the rMBP for a SSD, so weighs are more similar and probably battery life will be longer too.

13" screen (or 11" for that matter) is too small for me, at least as a primary computer.  Now, if I had another computer with larger screen (or an external monitor), I can live with 13" laptop.

Oh and when I went to school, I was lugging around ~10-15 pounds worth of text books.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

13" screen (or 11" for that matter) is too small for me, at least as a primary computer. Now, if I had another computer with larger screen (or an external monitor), I can live with 13" laptop.

Oh and when I went to school, I was lugging around ~10-15 pounds worth of text books.

You have old eyes. I've been using an 11" MacBook for a couple years now as my primary computer, 10+ hrs a day

I guess it is personal preference as my 11" MBA display is more than adequate on the move. I can also use the iPad retina as an extra display when necessary. At home the 24" external is quite nice though. The bottom line is other than the display, the real difference between an MBP and an MBA seems minimal for most people's needs, including mine. Plus weight becomes very important when you are trying to outrun zombies.

You're right. My bad. Guess I thought it didn't because my large hands felt cramped and I doesn't fully leverage it in test uses. Rephrasing, anyone with large hands have issues long term?

Edited by blessingx

I guess it is personal preference as my 11" MBA display is more than adequate on the move. I can also use the iPad retina as an extra display when necessary. At home the 24" external is quite nice though. The bottom line is other than the display, the real difference between an MBP and an MBA seems minimal for most people's needs, including mine. Plus weight becomes very important when you are trying to outrun zombies.

This.  I thought the 11" would be too small, after carrying around a 15" MBP for many years.  I am perfectly happy using an 11" on the go and using an external monitor when home.  I wish I had an external monitor larger than 20" though.  In fact, I really wish Apple would make a 24" or 25" Thunderbolt display!

The only reason I would possibly get a 13" MBA would be for longer battery life. 

I have miniature hands so I can't help out with your question, Ric. 

Edited by shellylh

I went to the Apple Store today thinking I was ready to plunk down money for the new 13" Air.  I then realized midway through talking to one of the associates that the annual Back to School promotion would probably be starting soon.  I wonder what the promotion will entail this year.

Wow, my MBA 11" is apparently at my office ... from Japan AT 8PM last night to my door step at 1054am. That's pretty amazing. Looks like I'll have to stop at the office on the way home from the hospital!! :)

Edited by jvlgato
  • Like 1