Ye Macce Threade

Counting work computers I own all of them (including the mini) except the MBP, but Karen has an MBP.

Edit: Didn't realize we were doing the numbers. MP, iMac (2), Mac Mini (2), MBA (2), MBP, ATV, AExt, AExp (3), iPad2, iPad retina, iPhone 4S (2), iPod Touch. Most likely getting an iPad mini and updated AExt later in the summer.

Edited by morphsci

I have Mac Minises (4), an iMac (1), a Mac Pro (1), a MBP 15", a Macbook Air 13", an iPad 3, an iPad Mini, an iPhone, an Airport Extreme, an Airport Express, 3 AppleTV, and my old PowerMac G4 MDD in the house at the moment. 

Don't know if I will bother with the new Mac Pro. Mine is a couple of years old but I rarely use it as all the other computers are sufficient for most of what I do.

• Like 1

And then you wonder why they just give you free replacements when you walk in the door at the apple store. :)

I have Mac Minises (4), an iMac (1), a Mac Pro (1), a MBP 15", a Macbook Air 13", an iPad 3, an iPad Mini, an iPhone, an Airport Extreme, an Airport Express, 3 AppleTV, and my old PowerMac G4 MDD in the house at the moment.

Don't know if I will bother with the new Mac Pro. Mine is a couple of years old but I rarely use it as all the other computers are sufficient for most of what I do.

• Like 1

i want to get the tube thingie but maybe i should wait and watch for a spec evolution on the thunderbolts.

Sadly Thunderbolt 2 is more or less just Thunderbolt 1 in different clothes. Source.

also want to see 4k available in itunes first

I don't know what you mean by that, but one of these days iTunes needs native FLAC file support.

i want to get the tube thingie but maybe i should wait and watch for a spec evolution on the thunderbolts.

i like that they improved it, but the first version hasn't really been here long.  Maybe I should hold out for thunderbolt 5.

the stuff isn't cheap.

also want to see 4k available in itunes first

I want to see lossless available in itunes first.

Anyone want to take a shot at  when Apple will introduce Haswell rMBPs?  I was hoping they would have announced them at WWDC, but now I'm thinking they might just wait to release them whenever Mavericks lands (meaning we'll have wait until the Fall).  The current rMBP was originally released in February of this year so I'm thinking it doesn't make sense for Apple to release Haswell upgrades too quickly.

I'm quite interested by Haswell's seemingly substantial gains in power efficiency.  The new integrated graphics (Iris Pro 5200) that comes with the mobile Haswell i7 also looks like a huge improvement over past integrated graphics.  Iris Pro 5200 seems comparable in some applications to the Nvidia 650M0, the dedicated graphics in the current 15" rMPB.  Iris Pro 5200+CPU has a thermal draw power value of ~50W.  The old Nvidia 650M+CPU setup maxed at ~90W.  I presume the Iris Pro 5200 would mean huge gains in battery life under graphics intensive situations.

Based on Haswell SKU lists so far, dual core i5s come with Intel HD 5000.1 A new13" rMBP would most likely use those since the current models use dual core i5s with integrated graphics.

Some of the quad core Haswell i7s come with Iris Pro 5200.2  Apple would most likely want to use these in new 15" rMPBs.

Apple has been the primary motivator for Intel's surprising commitment to improving integrated graphics over the past few years.  I have a feeling Apple wants to drop dedicated graphics in their notebook computers all together some day.  I personally don't think it will happen in this generation, but it might in the next with Broadwell, the future 14mm shrink of Haswell.

On a secondary note, it seems that the high performance mobile Haswell chips are more expensive than their previous generation counterparts.  I wonder how Apple will respond.  I presume they will choose among cutting profit margins, raising prices, or cutting some corners (e.g. maybe even removing dedicated graphics).

Edited by Nanoha

Went into Apple's new Palo Alto store today to compare rMBP and MBA screens. It's a testament to Apple's attention to detail that the structure seemed perfectly designed to allow as much light in and cast as many reflections as humanly possible. It's not exaggerating to say it was like being outside, with mirrors added. Look at the shadows in my shot below. The iPads for instance were aimed up at the glass ceiling. Sure it's better at night, but what were they thinking - it never gets sunny in Silicon Valley? Weird. Steve's ghost where are you?

post-128-1371248130834_thumb.jpg

Edited by blessingx

Went into Apple's new Palo Alto store today to compare rMBP and MBA screens. It's a testament to Apple's attention to detail that the structure seemed perfectly designed to allow as much light in and cast as many reflections as humanly possible. It's not exaggerating to say it was like being outside, with mirrors added. Look at the shadows in my shot below. The iPads for instance were aimed up at the glass ceiling. Sure it's better at night, but what were they thinking - it never gets sunny in Silicon Valley? Weird. Steve's ghost where are you?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1371248129.489087.jpg

Apple is stupid and Steve is dead.  Were you able to make any comparison worth noting?  the rMBP doesn't have much of a hard drive now, so I am not sure what my student daughter will gain over the Air except more weight and maybe better processing power that she is not too likely to use?