Apple Tablet

It appears that iPad 1Gs are available through Apple for $100 off. They're going to have a hard time moving them at those prices, I think. Regardless, that means a 64GB 3G model is now $729. Is it reasonable to think you could fetch $500 for a used First gen 64GB 3G? If so, with the new hotspot functionality, the 64GB iPad 2 with wi-fi only becomes more compelling.

@Dan 501$ shipped, LMK.

re: VZW/ATT 3G, I'm really wondering if it's just one SKU, and they're using a GOBI. I figure that's what they're HAVING to do, otherwise, it makes little sense. Now... What I'd LOVE to see is you pay Apple the 30$/mo, or whatever, and you get to use ATT or VZW, whichever you want/whichever is better at the time (auto-sensing, or selectable). That would be interesting.

**BRENT**

In case you didn't find your answer, RAM will be 512Mb in the Ipad 2.

Thinner, lighter. More absorbent?

I knew that was the rumor just hadn't found it in the announcement. That should work for my purposes with a faster processor. Thanks Scott.

Dan, that's a nice price. Good luck.

Yeah, I haven't seen confirmation on the RAM, aren't they really prickly about that?

Oh, and engadget seems to like the device:

Update: Okay, we've had a chance to play around the with iPad 2 some more, and here are our big takeaways from the experience.

* This thing is insanely fast. We're not joking -- it's blazingly fast. Everything the iPad 2 does feels like it's on turbo. We're uploading a video of the some evidence of this, you'll be appropriately stunned.

* The design feels great in your hands. Sleek, super thin -- much nicer to hold than the previous version. Definitely has more of a magazine than book feel. Everything is tight and solid. It is pretty amazing how thin they've gotten the device.

* Even software made for the first generation device feels better here. Safari is definitely sped up. Games looked great on-screen, though obviously there are no updates to the resolution of screen technology here.

* This is an evolutionary step, but we definitely don't feel like it's lacking for features. People are going to gobble these up when they see the new apps.

So for those buying, which model?

When work gave me a 32GB to test with (not sure for how long), I sold my personal 64GB 3G model a couple months back. Pretty much only used 3G on vacation and with the unlimited plan vanished will probably avoid the extra cost of 3G model. Can't say I ever came close to filling either (and probably even less likely with MOG, Squeezepad, and Netflix streaming - I was slow to adopt all), so may downgrade from 64GB also.

Curious if others who've owned before will stay with same model or upgrade/downgrade?