Apple Tablet

I think the iPad resolution and size will stay for one more generation, if not two. Right now you're looking at 3 iOS resolutions. The iPad 2 will keep the same resolution as the first iPad. 1024x768 for iPad will stay around for at least 2nd gen, and probably 3rd. I figure the iPad will stay in the 4:3 ratio that it's at now, as I doubt Jobs will want to deal with the "resolution fragmentation" issues of Android, as from my understanding, it's not built to scale like Android is.

I'm actually kind of surprised Jobs didn't go with a slightly smaller tablet and go with the 3:2 960x640 resolution of the iPhone 4. Pixel density would probably be close to the 9.7" iPad were it say, an inch smaller, but he didn't.

As far as the 480x320 resolution of the 3GS and earlier, yeah, it was looking quite dated up against the 854x480 on a screen barely larger. But for now, Apple is leading the pack resolutoin wise. I'm wondering if iP5 or iP6 will herald a bump in screen size to 3.7/3.8/4.0 (Jobs will NEVER go over 4", though, as 4" really is a fantastic size. Go play with a Galaxy S phone and come back and bitch about how Android isn't as Apple as iOS, but you'll at least see how nice the screen size is. Except Dan, as he's 3.5" forever, until Steve tells him differently.) 3.5" is now relegated to low and mid-level Android phones, and as people did with the 480x320 res, they're starting to notice. Samsung is close to hitting their 10 million unit goal with the Galaxy S, so it's pretty safe to say that you know someone with a 4" phone now.

The Galaxy Tab seems to be reasonably successful at 7". There is definitely a market there, and I'm sure Jobs will capitalize on it when he's ready, but that will be 2012 at the earliest. I'm still thinking the 7" and 10" iPads would be at the same resolution, but I'm wondering if they're going to go "Retina Display" with it, and what that would be. The current iPad is 91PPI, iirc. I'm not sure if the tech exists (at current price points) to bring dual cameras (a lock for iP2, it has to be) and a screen/chip combo that will output say, a ~200PPI image while still keeping the impressive battery life they do. I'm really interested in seeing what they can do with this...

**BRENT**

I played a bit with the Galaxy at a Best Buy recently. It's a nice device but too small for my purposes. I do see why some would want something that size and find the iPad too big. The latest rumor is that the 2g iPad will be physically smaller due to a smaller bezel. It will also have a flat back, similar to the iTouch. I'm just hoping for more ram, which is my biggest complaint.

It will have to have more ram. It's ridiculous that the 1G iPad only has 256 while the iP4 has 512. I figure it'll get bumped up to match iP4 specs ram wise, but I'm almost expecting the processor will stay the same. It's POSSIBLE it'll get bumped up to 1.2 or so, but I'm figuring that would probably mess with power consumption, so unless they made the A4 more efficient, by quite a bit, I'd say it'll stick to the 1GHz, and maybe save the next gen A4 for 3G iPad.

As far as the Galaxy Tab goes, I'm bummed it doesn't have a phone (out of the box). Looking through Geneapalooza pix, I think that the 7" Tab up against my head would look like a Galaxy S up against Justin's head. Jesus, I have a huge head.

**BRENT**

ipad with a case is pretty damn heavy. was playing around with moms ipad for a few minutes this morning and held it with just my fingers (didnt have it resting on my forearm) and fingers were starting to get tired quickly. not a complaint -- just an observation. i plan on leaving my thinkpad in the office permanently for next semester but will be going to 3 different universities so would like something light to carry. pull trigger on another ipad or go with a macbook air?

been playing with the ipad. the low ram is starting to bother me. even the iphone seems more responsive switching between apps etc. going to go with mba for certain.

will the 1.4ghz be too slow? id hate to spend that much money and then be annoyed with the speed. going to go with 4gb ram for certain but dont know how the 1.4ghz processor compares with the faster processors.

been playing with the ipad. the low ram is starting to bother me. even the iphone seems more responsive switching between apps etc. going to go with mba for certain.

will the 1.4ghz be too slow? id hate to spend that much money and then be annoyed with the speed. going to go with 4gb ram for certain but dont know how the 1.4ghz processor compares with the faster processors.

The iPad has 256MB ram vs 512 on the iPhone, it IS slower. What do you want to do with it, and how much do you value uber portability vs ultra-portability (11.6 v 13.3 respectively). Also, I know you're into movies, and I believe the 11.6" is the only 16:9 MacBook out right now. The pixel density of the screen is fantastic (1366x768). For many things, 4GB of ram with the 11.6 will be fine. If you wanted to throw out a couple hundred more, you could step up to the 1.6 with 128GB SSD (of sorts) with 4GB ram. Go play with your Mom's MBA. If it feels sluggish, then the 1.4 will annoy you. It really just depends on what you want to use it for.

Also, get the new one, don't go for the one you linked. If this is something that you want to just take with you from place to place, surf HC and maybe play a little music, go for it. You have other machines to do heavy lifting. I was even considering it for a main machine (I don't do that much heavy lifting, processor wise, I'm more of a ram hog)...

Also, buy another S95 while you're at it. Just because.

**BRENT**

mom gave mba to sister so dont have access to that anymore.

i dont think 11" vs 13" will make much of a difference to me. i had a netbook for about a day once - stupid thing formatted the drive every time i restarted it so it was returned to woot. the keyboard felt very cramped. i have a feeling the same will result of the 11". 13" it is. going to wait until after school starts again in 2 weeks and i get a paycheck and then get the 13" mba. will see if the local best buy has the 13" model with both processors on display to see if i need the faster processor.

i really do like the s95. just discovered the "custom" tab. been playing around with all the different effects. camera takes some nice black and white pictures.

You should try out the 11.6 MBA. It is significantly different from a net book. It plays in another league. The keyboard is excellent, the only quibble is it is not backlit, but that would eat into battery life. The screen is also excellent and plays bigger than it is. Side by side with my 13" Asus tablet, the MBA has superior usability. If you decide you need 13" before you actually try the smaller MBA then you need to reevaluate your education. If you do decide you need the 13" screen size, you may as well just go for the MB Pro. You do not gain all that much in actual portability and you pay a high premium in performance/price.

i did consider the mbp but the only issue was the weight. i already have something ~5lbs (bag included) that i would like to leave in my office. wanted something light but after pricing out how much a decent 13" mba will be, i may very well go with the 11" or the mbp. will try to get to best buy sometime soon and see these things in person.