Apple Tablet

Quick impressions- beautiful, sleek, it's everything everyone said. Love it. All the native iPad apps are just gorgeous. All the iPhone apps look fair to horrible, can't wait for more native apps! Keyboard much better than I expected! Good enough for a few sentence at a time.

Cnet speed test: wifi 932.6, 3G 958.9 (in my house, 5 bars strength) , not too shabby!

I just ran a bunch of speed tests on the ipad with wifi and got anywhere from 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. When I have a good connection, it seems to be around 20-25.

Edit: At least this is what speed test is telling me. Doesn't this seem a little fast for cable modem?

Edited by shellylh

Picked up a black Timbuk2 Freestyle Netbook Messenger bag from Micro Center today. I like the special pocket for the ipad. There is enough room to put the ipad+Belkin case inside so there will be enough room for the ipad+apple case. Warning: The strap is not that long (I would prefer that it was about 6 inches longer) so it may be a little awkward for some people.

1_f_jb-jb-jb.jpeg

1_q_jb-jb-jb.jpeg

1_i_jb-jb-jb.jpeg

Got TSA endorsement today going through screening with one inside the front pocket of the rollaboard. The guy on the x-ray machine stopped the conveyer to ask if I had an iPad in there. Uh yeah, sorry, was I supposed to take it out? Nah man, but is it as cool as it looks?

Yes. :)

Then read The Best Of Gene Wolfe on the plane while listening to The XX. My kind of convergence device!

I guess I got a bad iPad, had to exchange it today. Watching videos it froze and was unresponsive until a hard reboot. There is a long thread in support forum with people having the same issue.

Drove to the store and they gave me a new one. I guess that is an Apple benefit. :)

Im trying to figure out which bag to buy for the iPad. I was leaning towards the Timbik2 Classic xs but the complaints about the strap length have changed my mind. My next choice is the Tom Bihn case but they will not ship until early June which will be too late for my trip to Europe. I'm am thinking about picking up the booq Taipan xs. I will order the Tom Bihn bag as well and shoot them out when I retun from the trip. I figure, if I prefer the Bhin, I can sell the booq. The search will continue today for other choices.

Dinny, that pic scares me.

That's pretty damn close to a purse, Mike.

If Jack Baur can carry a murse, so can I. I'm just hoping there Is a nice compartment for my Kahr PM9. I think the Sig will be too large to carry in either bag. I was hoping that I could order a longer strap with a custom Timbik2 bag but there is no option.

Besides, I will be 50 in just over 2 months, what do I care what other people think.

Luve the iPad so far, but a couple things, I'm curious how those in the first wave dealt with:

The iPhone ended up being kinda a last-time-checking-email/Head-Case-before-sleep device, and the iPad seems a bit heavy for that. You guys adjust?

Some of my favorite iPhone apps (ByLine, Tapatalk, Tweetie, etc.) are designed for small screen real estate/one-hand operation and have some additional advantages over the web interfaces of the services/sites they tap into. You guys generally just switch over to Safari, still using (even if scaled 2x) those apps, or a combination of the two?

I keep configuring the same bag at Timbuk2:

bag.jpg

Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on it though. The other bags mentioned look nice, but I need something that can carry the iPad, a thermos for coffee, lunch, gym clothes and any other odds and ends I might have on any given day. I've got a backpack, but frankly it doesn't cut it for access on the go. Still waiting to pull the trigger. I'd be curious to hear how you like you're bag shelly.