Apple Tablet

So I got some more face time with an Ipad this weekend and came away more impressed than my first hands on experience. If AT&T ever opens up tethering or I switch to a phone that already does it I'll probably pick one up. My office doesn't have wifi (no need for it) and memories of being frustrated with the Touch as a result are enough to keep me from buying one now.

I liked the orange on your bag, Mike.

Incidentally, I keep confusing Mike with Dinny because of the new militant monkey avatar.

I like the orange as well. It's an excellent bag with room for pretty much everything I would need.

Team Militant Monkey ftw!

How are you guys feeling about your GB model choices? Thinking of picking up an iPad for my girlfriend and curious if people are filling up memory quicker or slower than expected? Still only have under 10GB on my 64GB.

2.87 GB left on my 32GB iPad... A lot of that is a season of Ghost in the Shell that is slowly working its way off as I watch it. Most of the time I have about 11-14GB on it with music, vids, apps and sundry.

I'm not really looking at this as a content device, but more as a work device. I won't need to put music on it.... I've got my iPhone for that. Perhaps some movie/TV shows. But I don't see loading it up. I typically deal with one TV series at a time so I'd only have a few episodes loaded on my iPhone now. iBooks... that might be something I load up on, but we'll see. I barely have time to read the shit I have to read for work, let alone leisure reading. Right now I'm digging through Snow Crash, one chapter a day.

No, my plans for this are as a extension of my desktop at work. Get files and take notes during meetings. We'll see how it works out. I'm a big Omnifoucs/Omnioutliner user and they are creating new apps for both of those for the iPad... that will be big for me. Also, it will come in handy at meeting for quick presentations and browsing through our Infopath forms on our group's sharepoint site.

Besides, if I get something larger than the 16GB, it will be the 32GB + 3G. So might as well check it out at the 16GB level first. I have no doubt that if it doesn't work out, I will be able to sell it off fairly easily.

The problem, even with that use case as I see it, is that with just a few episodes (at 720P-type resolutions) a few books, a magazine or two, and you could be almost full. I will be interested to see file sizes for TV shows and movies encoded specifically for this device, I expect them to be in the 500MB/hr range, if not higher or they're not going to look very good. I've never downloaded movies or TV shows from the iTunes store so I can't be sure but what has been people's experience regarding those with regard to file size?

[edit] According to the iTunes FAQ the average 2hr movie is "is about 1.5 GB." I don't like the idea of any one file eating more than 10% of my storage and having to sync or delete it to get the space back.

Yeah yeah, I know I know..... originally I said a 16GB iPad... but in the heat of the moment...etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIZfn6XKF4

To be fair... Nate is a rather striking fellow. :nate:

For those of you who use the iteleport or some other vnc program to connect to a Mac with two monitors, I found a program called SwitchResX that allows you to easily disable one of your monitors (without having to unplug). I often run computations on the Mac Pro in my office (which has two 20" monitors) from home and this helps out a lot. I don't know why I didn't search for something like this before. :palm:

Just an fyi...After roughly 2 weeks of iPad 3G ownership, I have transferred almost 200GB in data over 3G under what I would consider light use conditions. It would seem difficult to me to sign up for 3G and not exceed the 250GB limit if one uses 3G daily, even just a little bit.

EDIT: Oh for Christ's sake, I forgot the major caveat: I don't have wireless in my office, so it is on 3G most of the work day. But during that time, I am not actively surfing, just receiving mail and push notifications...and the occasional Words with Friends. So not heavy use, but certainly may affect my conclusion above. Fucking migraine.

Edited by The Monkey

I read somewhere it warned you three times (like 20%, 10%, done), then, I think, shut off and requested you to buy more access. Doesn't seem very cell service-like to miss the opportunity to gouge users.

Edited by blessingx