The analog thread.

Hopstretch

now all you need is De Wood to build you a plinth and you are all set oh plus a modern arm... I have heard that the stock 75s sound great but the updated ones sound superb almost the equal of the 301/401

How are you liking the idler sound

Hard to gauge the sound quality in a stock configuration because the tonearm is quite primitive. Once modded I am a big fan of idlers.

I think I should be able to do the plinth by myself, the mods are well documented, but someone else would have to do the finish. Contacting Dr Wood is another good idea numbs :) .I'm not sure what to go for as far as tonearm (budget under $1000 used, Moerch?) I like the Graham Phantom and Tri-Planar but they are out of my budget at the moment.

I am using a AT-1005mk2 which I really like, but the Moerch is a good choice. Depends really on the cartridge I guess.

Played with the new RB301 this weekend and am not a huge fan... from the new mounting style to the goofy anti-skate adjustment, to the rough finish on the headshell. I prefer the older design.

I am using a AT-1005mk2 which I really like, but the Moerch is a good choice. Depends really on the cartridge I guess.

Played with the new RB301 this weekend and am not a huge fan... from the new mounting style to the goofy anti-skate adjustment, to the rough finish on the headshell. I prefer the older design.

My thinking might be off here- but I wasn't thinking of getting a high mass tonearm since medium mass tonearms seem to go well with a wider variety of modern cartridges. Maybe I just need to hear a "vintage" design cartridge I like, but so far it seems like I'm a Dynavector and Zyx type of person.

Edited by deepak

• 3 weeks later...

My vinyl rig is down now also:

Getting a Mike New 14lb Platter

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3428-mike-new-platter.jpg

heavy duty bearing with stiffener plate

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3430-mike-new-bearing-mounted-onto-baseplate.jpg

and new heavy copper armboard

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3429-mike-new-sme-armplate-copper.jpg

When its all done it should be fairly substantial.

Also building a new power supply using this hi-perf module as the basis from Paul Hynes

Pr3Techie.jpg

:nate:

I know exactly which Jungle Book he's talking about, I grew up on that too (although I didn't grow up on the picture disk).

But..."He Poos Clouds"?

I have He Poos Clouds on vinyl too, although I got it from Zanth in the xmas exchange not from a crate by the side of the road.

got the repairs done on the OL Sovreign compleed and the motor and motor control unit are now on their way back to me!!! Vinyl in about a week.

:jbl::jbl: :jbl:

Sound like some cool mods, Pete. Let us know the results.

Dang, looks like a good find. Have you opened it up yet? And do you prefer low mass tonearms + higher compliance carts?

I have not opened it, and don't plan to :) I downloaded the FSM from vinylengine, and it is way too hardcore.

This TT sounds really good with the DL-s1 I just got. It took very little effort (align, set VTF, set antiskate) to get a nice 3-d soundstage. Im quite happy.

Has anyone experimented with inverting opamps for 0-ohm input impedance with MC carts? I combined the front end of the RJM phonoclone link with the Passive-riaa opamp phonostage like he describes HERE and am quite happy with the results. Im still up in the air whether I prefer my SUT or this.

I'm still interested in trying Peter Daniel's phono stage, but no one has offered input on it :(

70 db of gain with my DL-103 would be great for my TVC. Without a SUT the Denon/Pearl is unusable in my speaker setup

Why not add some Cinemags to the Pearl?