The analog thread.

Hopstretch

wall mounted the turntable today, other than the fear of having a $6k table dropping 4 feet to an untimely death, it has been great. No more footfall issues and it allowed to get my components out from the middle of the speakers. Still experimenting with carts and think I'll wind up selling all I've got and stepping it up a notch to either a used shelter 90x or a zyx airy or atmos.

On the Classic Records front with Music Dorect at CanJam I was able to score a FZ Hot Rats and a back up copy of KOB for $25 a piece.

wall mounted the turntable today, other than the fear of having a $6k table dropping 4 feet to an untimely death, it has been great. No more footfall issues and it allowed to get my components out from the middle of the speakers. Still experimenting with carts and think I'll wind up selling all I've got and stepping it up a notch to either a used shelter 90x or a zyx airy or atmos.

On the Classic Records front with Music Dorect at CanJam I was able to score a FZ Hot Rats and a back up copy of KOB for $25 a piece.

Hot Rats and KOB sound great on CR. KOB can still be found at a lot of places, don't hesitate on this one since it's the only version on vinyl where the tapes were aligned for the correct speed. I wish I was into vinyl when the 45 rpm KOB was still in print.

Brubeck's Time Out is another great jazz album on CR, though my mono 2eye is pretty nice in itself. A few places still have the CR Time Out for sane prices.

Cart update

So far the Denon DL-S1 is ruling the roost to my ears and preference. The Soundsmith while showing great promise was a mismatch for the mic or line inputs of the Sonic 305, so no more MM or MI carts for me.

The Shelter while silky smooth in the mids just can't match the Denon's extension on both ends. Denon's bass slam is outstanding my only quibble would be the mids are just a slight touch hard. They are not in any poor just not as smooth as the Shelter which could be a tad romantic in the mids. Keep in mind that all these carts float in the around $1000 or sub $1000 range. For the life of me I can't fugure out how they can't make a totally amazing cart for a grand but so be it. Right now the Denon is as close as it got for me. I do need to put the ZYX up fbut I'm not wrestling with the Mint LP protractor any more today.

Looks like the Denon DL-s1 is the keeper and I'll be stepping up a rung for my next move to the $2k range over the next year.

Cart update

So far the Denon DL-S1 is ruling the roost to my ears and preference. The Soundsmith while showing great promise was a mismatch for the mic or line inputs of the Sonic 305, so no more MM or MI carts for me.

The Shelter while silky smooth in the mids just can't match the Denon's extension on both ends. Denon's bass slam is outstanding my only quibble would be the mids are just a slight touch hard. They are not in any poor just not as smooth as the Shelter which could be a tad romantic in the mids. Keep in mind that all these carts float in the around $1000 or sub $1000 range. For the life of me I can't fugure out how they can't make a totally amazing cart for a grand but so be it. Right now the Denon is as close as it got for me. I do need to put the ZYX up fbut I'm not wrestling with the Mint LP protractor any more today.

Looks like the Denon DL-s1 is the keeper and I'll be stepping up a rung for my next move to the $2k range over the next year.

How does the 17D3 rank in the mix? I thought you really liked that one.

How does the 17D3 rank in the mix? I thought you really liked that one.

I really liked the 17D3 but thought that the Zyx Fuji was better on the Sony table. I would like to listen to the 17D3 on the Origin Live to see where it performs relative to the Denon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the SME V mounted yesterday :)

Always takes much longer than you expect.

Need to get some damper fluid, running the setup now without it.

I noted tighter, more defined bass, and more powerful, than the SME 309.

The highs are also more extended, this may be due to the silver wiring used vs. the copper in the 309

Over all a nice improvement, and really a step up.

Now I need to get a taller mat since I can't quite get the arm low enough to get the VTA right where I want it, but very close.

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3322-pete-sme-v.jpg

Got the SME V mounted yesterday :)

Always takes much longer than you expect.

Need to get some damper fluid, running the setup now without it.

I noted tighter, more defined bass, and more powerful, than the SME 309.

The highs are also more extended, this may be due to the silver wiring used vs. the copper in the 309

Over all a nice improvement, and really a step up.

Now I need to get a taller mat since I can't quite get the arm low enough to get the VTA right where I want it, but very close.

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3322-pete-sme-v.jpg

Send me your address and i will send you a mat that will probably work really well for you.

Its a Ringmat 330 MKII XLR. Might have one hour on my table but new other than that.

Heard an absurdly good turntable the source (it can't even be called a turntable) today. Trance inducing incredible- Steve Dobbins replinthed Garrard 301 with Graham Phantom and Dynavector XV-1s. My friend replaced his VPI with this TT. Really wonderful balance, the DIY plinthed Garrard I heard before was damn good as well, but a bit too pronounced in the midbass. This might have been the EMT cartridge, the XV-1s might be more balanced overall... hard to say.

Edited by deepak

I also got a new arm.

Clearaudio RB250 with Michales technoweight.

Wired with some absurdly pure silver wire

milled cartridge clips

For some time I have wanted a tonearm with a DIN connector, and opportunity knocked too loud as the arm came to me with broken wires from the base out.

Cardas DIN for rega, 1877 din, unshielded cable to SUT.

aDSC_0014.jpg

aDSC_0016.jpg

aDSC_0017.jpg

The paint is metallic blue. Its quite nice looking.

You were able to use unshielded cable from the TT to the SUT? Wow. How did you get the environment quiet enough?

The Primary of my SUT is floating/balanced for noise rejection :) My tonearm cable is also only about 12" long. When I had the VPI Scout and a similar setup I ran the whole thing without a ground anywhere on the TT for a couple weeks because I forgot.

great looking arms, nice score Ari!

I really love the look of the SME arms but admit to never having heard a SME product, I had a strong lust for the TTs for a while.

Thanks

I also have SME envy. They are really neat arms.

Nice job Ari! Now score a KAB PSU(with strobe disable) or the PSU from Soundhifi.com for another decent upgrade.

The Primary of my SUT is floating/balanced for noise rejection :) My tonearm cable is also only about 12" long. When I had the VPI Scout and a similar setup I ran the whole thing without a ground anywhere on the TT for a couple weeks because I forgot.

Thanks

I also have SME envy. They are really neat arms.