The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Why not add some Cinemags to the Pearl?

I did borrow postie's Cinemags for a few months. In the Stax setup (with Blue Hawaii which had ample gain) comparing the Pearl alone vs Cinemag->Pearl the latter just added a bit too much color for my liking. Low level resolution also took a hit. I can understand when people say the DL-103 is a colored cartridge with Cinemags/Altecs.

I happened upon a chance to try an old and crusty (yes, actual crust) Koetsu Onyx Platinum in my system this weekend. Very little fussing was done over its setup. Talk about eye opening:

• So a cart can be warm and have top-level resolution - the Benz Ref 3 also has a nice and warm sound, but it's nothing like the Onyx overall.
  • Perhaps the upper-range Ortofon MC sound is too dry/analytical for my tastes. Maybe that was the wrong road to go down.
  • The Windfeld sounds like boom & sizzle next to the Koetsu. The Windfeld absolutely hits harder in the bass (much tighter and more impactful than any I've heard by far in fact), but you can just swim in the Koetsu's mids. The Onyx really doesn't sear, sizzle, or grate up top, which a nice reprieve. I should've looked again at the cart when additional acoustic treatment didn't help with that.
  • The Onyx has a much lower noise floor than the Windfeld, which in turn has a much lower floor than the Kontra c and the Benz Ref 3.
  • I might just be sold on the whole Koetsu thing.

To be fair, the Koetsus are a GREAT match for my heavy-ish arm, on paper.

The Onyx will be staying, though I'll have to keep an eye on when it might be time for a rebuild.

There was also a nice Koetsu-branded arm (SA-1100D Mk II, made for them by by Jelco) to try, but I don't think it's quite as nice as my Fidelity Research FR64fx. The headshell with the Koetsu script on it looked fucking cool, though.

Pete I'd be really interested to hear how the changes impacted the 1200 as I really think the late 70s DD decks are absolutely outstanding.

The Koetsu experience was very different for me, I heard a Koetsu after hearing and being fairly familiar with a Lyra on Al's VPI set up. The Lyra was slightly too thin for my tastes but still very good bu the Koetsu was thick and felt slow (it seemed to rob the music of pace). Different tables/arms could lead to an entirely different experience though. I am intriuged by the A90 (?) from Ortofon probably because of the appearance as much as anything else.

My Koetsu experience is in line with jp's. It gets tiring hearing mostly the cartridges signatures record after record. My friend used to be a big Koetsu nut (had 4 or 5 of them iirc), and the DV XV-1s at a third of the cost of the top Koetsu was just all around better.

You guys bring up a good point with the Koetsu. The balance is night-and-day different from the Windfeld. In fact my girlfriend Leigh would agree with you - said she prefers the Windfeld, because it sounds "clearer and sharper" (my friend Cory is almost certainly going to prefer the Windfeld, too). She's absolutely right, but in my system there is just that damn peakiness somewhere up top that's been progressively driving me crazy (some nights more than others). In fact the Jubilee did that too, and both of those top Ortofons do it to a much greater extent than other carts (much more than the Kontrapunkts for sure). I've run the gamut with VTA, loading, and even acoustic treatments to only minor effect. I do have a fairly live room, with lots of hard flat surface (no carpet :().

The noise floor on this Koetsu really is shockingly low (it does seem to have a bit more effective output, which obviously helps), and that is a factor.

I've also heard the A90 in a similar-ish system (big Tannoy Churchill Widebands with VAC PP tube amps), and the sound is very very reminiscent to the Windfeld, with a bit more resolution.

I would like to try the top Dynavectors at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over a week - still addicted to the Koetsu sound. I've gone back and tried each of the Kontra/Benz Ref/Windfeld. Just can't do it anymore. Relatively, they all sound too harsh and bright. My room might well be a contributing factor (lots of hard surfaces) but adding a few more panels did far less than fiddling with cartridges. Maybe it is an expensive tone control, and maybe it isn't :) The Kensingtons should be a touch warm naturally, so..something was up. Also, let me not discount the fact that my heavy arm (16-22g effective) is a much better match for the low compliance Koetsu.

Like I mentioned earlier, Leigh prefers the "sharp, clean" sound of the Windfeld, but she's always listening way way off-axis - sometimes in the other room under a heavy pillow :)

Time to consider selling all the carts and starting an "oh shit" fund to get a replacement/repaired Koetsu and/or play with some other carts/arms at some point.

mulveling-albums-stuff-picture3519-koetsu2.JPG

new denon direct drive table:

Denon Celebrates 100th Birthday With Gorgeous Turntable

http://www.twice.com/article/456194-Denon_Marking_Centennial_With_Special_Edition_Series.php

The anniversary collection goeson sale worldwide on November 1, supported by a consumer promotion programwhose details will be released Oct. 1. The products consist of the DCD-A100 two-channel SACD/CD player, 2x80-watt twin-mono PMA-A100 integrated amp, DP-A100 direct-drive turntable, AVR-A100 9.2-channel AV receiver, and DBP-A100 universal Blu-ray player, all at a suggested $2,499 each. The DL-A100 hand-woundturntable cartridge and AH-A100 over-ear headphones round out the lineup at $499 each.

Edited by grawk

I'm getting some PCBs made up for an active rumble filter. It's a sallen-key 3rd order with an 18 hz corner that results in -18dB at 8Hz and -.2dB at 20Hz with group delay under 20 ms. Cost will be $8 plus $2 shipping to the US. It's 100% SMD construction. I'll attach a schematic. They'll go quick, so let me know soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3546[/ATTACH]

edit: dunno wtf the forum software is doing, but it seems to be auto resizing?

post-484-12951157939512_thumb.jpg

post-484-12951157939871_thumb.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

Gents,

Just finished installing Mike New bearing with stiffening plate, platter and SME armboard on my Technics last night. Let the table run all night at 45 rpm.

The new platter makes this table a tank, weighing in at least 10 lbs heavier than the stock platter

(which seems like a toy now, as does the Timestep armboard, which is feather light compared to the thick solid copper armboard I got from Mike).

So far so good. I hear more realistic voices with more weight, the bass is a bit more defined and organic, and the highs also sound a bit more natural;

just sounds more analog than before. All in all, a good, though costly set of mods.

Only place left to go at this point is to transplant the bearing, platter and tonearm into a solid slate plinth, or something like that

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is with the KAB PSU. Works just fine.

I have the higher performance PSU module on order due in next month from Paul Hynes.

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3563-pete-mn-mods.jpg

• 3 weeks later...