The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Hmm S&B lists the newer TX-1003 as 150 GBP a pair. Has anyone heard or read anything about them? That price is a lot more reasonable, I am tempted to try them out.

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/pagestepup.htm

"We now introduce the TX1003, a range of 3 smaller versions of the TX103.

These transformers have a winding symmetry based around the original TX103

The TX1003-5 has a 1:5 ratio with a centre tap on its primary

The TX1003-10 has a 1:10 ratio with a centre tap on its primary

The TX1003-20 has a 1:20 ratio also with a centre tap on its primary

All transformers are shielded with an 80% nickel shield and fitted with internal copper foil screens

The TX1003 is priced at

never has my 1200 rig seemed so horribly inadequate as it does when I gaze upon this beauty. bravo sir! I would love to have that platter and bearing on my deck someday. do you have any interest at all in adding a record stabilizing ring?

Gents,

Just finished installing Mike New bearing with stiffening plate, platter and SME armboard on my Technics last night. Let the table run all night at 45 rpm.

The new platter makes this table a tank, weighing in at least 10 lbs heavier than the stock platter

(which seems like a toy now, as does the Timestep armboard, which is feather light compared to the thick solid copper armboard I got from Mike).

So far so good. I hear more realistic voices with more weight, the bass is a bit more defined and organic, and the highs also sound a bit more natural;

just sounds more analog than before. All in all, a good, though costly set of mods.

Only place left to go at this point is to transplant the bearing, platter and tonearm into a solid slate plinth, or something like that

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is with the KAB PSU. Works just fine.

I have the higher performance PSU module on order due in next month from Paul Hynes.

digipete-albums-vinyl-rig-picture3563-pete-mn-mods.jpg

never has my 1200 rig seemed so horribly inadequate as it does when I gaze upon this beauty. bravo sir! I would love to have that platter and bearing on my deck someday. do you have any interest at all in adding a record stabilizing ring?

Hi Posty... errr Pussywillow! :)

Never thought about stabilizing rings. Has anyone tried them?

Would love to hear comments about them

Pete

I was trying to explain to a friend of mine today, who had no real concept of an online community, about my name change, and about how my head-case friends used to call me postie. she said "I guess they are going to call you pussy now?" :)

in all seriousness I just need to come up with a solid reason for reks to change my name back. he won't do it without a solid reason. so I am meditating and burning nag champa or cake flavored Yankee candles. here's hoping for inspiration.

digipete I have a ring for my 1200, bought from a guy named rudolf bruil. Universal Record Stablizing Ring. I love mine.

I tried a new alignment method (that I made up!) I would be superhappy if someone else would try it to try my new points out.

You will need the "Chpratz" protractor, available as a free download from Vinylengine here:

Its the third one down

64,117mm

I guess you could make your own protractor too :)

These alignment points are a combination of a little bit inside of the baerwald/lofgren A and the outer point from Lofgren b/stevenson. Its an interesting alignment to be sure... I was inspired to try this because some records have an inner grove radius larger than 60mm, in which case you are paying a steep penalty for stevenson. My tonearm also does not support Baerwald/Lofgren alignments (japanese arms generally run stephenson, and come up 1mm short for these methods). The peak & average tracking errors fall somewhere between the 3 popular alignment points, while still having a slight "bias" (preference?) for lower tracking error towards the end of the disc.

LMK how you like it if you try it.

Think I'm finished on my vinyl front end. Ordered a new Dynave3ctor 507 MKII arm and armboard to use with my VPI Superscoutmaster. Been wanting a top notch arm for a long time but kept blowing it off. Also been using a Koetsu Rosewood sig. platinum cartridge that I like alot. I'll try it and my dyna when the arm gets mounted and decide which one to keep on the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless plug: selling my Tube Preamp Modwright LS36.5 in the for sale section here, and have an Agon ad too.

I got the two box dual mono LS36.5 :)

But I had to send it back for repair of the HT bypass function.

I spent an hour or two with it and it sounded magical.

Just more dimensionality and better bass foundation (which was already great) and more color.

Vocals sounded a bit sweeter too.

Hope top get it back in a couple of weeks.

I'll post pics and more impressions then.

I also put together the new power supply for my Technics.

Got the psu module from Paul Hynes, and stuffed it in a box with a honking transformer.

The turntable seems happy.

But I have made too many changes at once to know what difference the new psu made.

All in all the rig is sounding fabulous.