The analog thread.

Hopstretch

So when I first got my turntable, I just set it up all haphazard-like and got down to enjoying the music.

Since then I've gradually acquired a small collection of tools of the trade -- proper level, decent stylus force gauge, appropriate cartridge protractor etc. -- and today I spent a couple of hours getting everything dialed in pretty close to theoretically perfect.

Guess what, it sounds worse. :palm:

So when I first got my turntable, I just set it up all haphazard-like and got down to enjoying the music.

Since then I've gradually acquired a small collection of tools of the trade -- proper level, decent stylus force gauge, appropriate cartridge protractor etc. -- and today I spent a couple of hours getting everything dialed in pretty close to theoretically perfect.

Guess what, it sounds worse. :palm:

Off topic... but that happened with adjusting the resistance of the air mass meter on my '85 SPG. I had just randomly fucked around and got it running really great, then I finally bought an analog multimeter (only had digital, and analog required for stupid adjustment procedure) and got it bang to where it's supposed to be and it ran like ass.

I hate that kind of shit. So much. I am seriously anal retentive, impatient, and easily aggravated.

This and the pain/time of software acquisition are the two primary reasons I avoid getting into vinyl...

Ok, so I have a friend who is becoming more interested exploring vinyl. He's not in a position to put too much $$ into it right now, but his parents have an old B&O Beogram 2000. Is it worth it for me him to see if it still works? Is this considered a decent turntable?

One problem with those is they used proprietary carts, which is a pain. You can still get support through Sound Smith, but my inexpert opinion is you'd do better by starting with a more conventional setup that you can mess around with more freely.

Well, I didn't futz with the deck any more last night. Decided to sleep on it and see how I felt in the morning. And, spinning Aja right now, my ears are a lot happier. Bass seems appropriately phat again. Stupid brain. :stick:

Stretch, do you have a test record you use? The Hi-Fi News Test LP always sets my mind at ease when I'm unsure of my settings. Then again so does the simplicity of aligning using an arc protractor specific to my TT. Does your TT have an arc protractor available anywhere? I got mine at vinylengine.

I don't have either yet Jack, but they're on the list. I'm slowly building up the toolbox.

Biggest futz factor with a suspended table is getting the bounce just right. You could drive yourself mad there and, judging by the forums on vinylengine and AA, more than a few already have. ;)

Now playing Remain In Light, which is my other personal punchy bass barometer. The Gyro isn't a bass monster, but it's very tight and clean. In messing with the stylus force and VTA last night, I started to feel I'd lightened it up too much. Now I don't.

Tweak table, tweak head, repeat to fade.

The LP I use to test set up is Stadium Arcadium. If your cart is not dialed in 100% the intro kick drum of Dani California will distort and sound like a synth.

I've got the cardas and analog productions discs but need the hifi news record.

Very often my state of mind influences the sound I perceive and need more than one session to make sure what I am hearing is 'right' and not just me at the moment.

Edited by tyrion

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me turgid. Matte black and shiny chrome FTMFW!

anniversary.jpg

Limited Edition Avid Anniversary

Anniversary celebrates 10 years since our first official product review and as it suggests is strictly a limited edition model, of which only ten units will be manufactured, each one numbered accordingly.

Building upon the Reference, the platter is 6mm thicker and the main bearing longer incorporating the new improved bushing. Twin belt drive is used via an improved motor coupled directly to the 22mm solid aluminium top plate. The subchassis arm mounting has been strengthened and the suspension frequency lowered still further.

The suspension housings are rigidly fixed to the top plate, which sits on the integral designed framework and shelves incorporating the split power supplies. The improved Reference SP power supply is split into two separate sections, keeping the DSP electronics and output module away from the large 1KVA mains transformer and associated electronics.

Each power supply is fixed to its 16mm solid aluminium shelf and the top shelf is suitable for our Pulsare phonostage or alternative.

The twelve polished chrome plated segments that make up the supporting framework, each weighing 7kg, add stability to the whole structure and reduce low frequency vibration entering the top plate. Each segment is manufactured from solid steel and solid stainless steel feet can be adjusted for levelling with the tool supplied.

Sound quality is sublime, open, dynamic, vivid, lifelike in presentation, yet delicate and revealing with background and surface noise pushed further into the background than ever before.

anniversaryaa.jpg

anniversarybb.jpg

main_headphone_rig_2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo. My NAD 533 with NAD PP2 preamp and Ortofon M2 Blue cart, EC ZDT amp with SRD-7 Mk2 SB transformer, Apogee mini-DAC with Nugget Audio Sigma 11 PSU, Samsung DVD transport, DLO Homedock HD with HDMI, Sharp Aquos 19" HDTV, HD800 phones, Stax O2 Mk1 in the case next to the rig.

I'm thinking I might return the NAD PP2 and get a nicer preamp, but I still have 3 weeks to decide. I can't really DIY, so I'd be looking at a budget preamp already built. Wasn't sure it was worth it with the TT and cartridge that I have. The reviews of those has been good, but I would trust the opinions here more.

Could you guys recommend some carts for my Dual 505-2, with an ultra low mass tonearm? I've got an Ortofon OM-20 in there now. Should I not bother and just get a whole new turntable with different cart? I'm pretty much a complete vinyl noob, just curious what my upgrade path would be, if I were to upgrade. Don't really listen to it enough to justify it right now, but definitely will later on.

Could you guys recommend some carts for my Dual 505-2, with an ultra low mass tonearm? I've got an Ortofon OM-20 in there now. Should I not bother and just get a whole new turntable with different cart? I'm pretty much a complete vinyl noob, just curious what my upgrade path would be, if I were to upgrade. Don't really listen to it enough to justify it right now, but definitely will later on.

Unless you feel there is something wrong with the sound of the Ortofon I would stick with it. The Ortofons seem to work very well with the Dual tonearms. You could always move up the Ortofon food chain.