Wyred 4 Sound (ESS Sabre) DAC

Hopstretch

Screenshot2009-11-08at120722PM.png

Diebenkorn posted this earlier in the For Sale Elsewhere thread. Though it might merit one of its own. They're definitely trying to tick all the boxes on the wish list, and then some. Will be interesting to see what the implementation is like. If the USB input was asynch, they would probably say so I guess.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I2S HDMI, really? That's a mistake that hasn't even fully been realized yet, and they're already perpetuating it? They should do HDMI HDMI, and make it decrypt DVD-A and SACD. But just in discrete stereo. They should have a little red LED that gets triggered by Dolby Digital or any of the DTS standards. (Or decode them, but only as an option, as I think that would incur too much expense.)

^ Ouch. :D

The fact that they say upgradable digital and analog boards makes it seem as if they didn't try their best the first time around just so they can sell upgrade boards further down the line. Which is probably true. No way in hell my poor self is going to buy a mediocre DAC for $1200+ just to have to pay to upgrade them myself later on.

The fact that they say upgradable digital and analog boards makes it seem as if they didn't try their best the first time around just so they can sell upgrade boards further down the line. Which is probably true. No way in hell my poor self is going to buy a mediocre DAC for $1200+ just to have to pay to upgrade them myself later on.

So its only wrong for others to make unfounded assumptions??? :palm:

• 1 month later...

Well, I own one of their well-reviewed class D amps, the ST250, and it makes my stereo rig sound like a really loud cell phone playing ringtones. Regardless of how their DAC actually sounds, I am sure that 6moons and Positive Feedback will gush about it almost as much as they gushed about the W4S amps and preamp.

• 1 month later...
yeah stupid name

but for their first DAC they sure know what they're doing

interesting, the main man in the company works with Rick Cullen of Cullen Circuits

Dumb name, dumb-looking box, but I bet it sounds fantastic! For some time my favourite 'semi-affordable' DAC was Rick Cullen's modified PS Audio DLIII. Looks like we're creeping closer to the release date, pre-orders being taken . . . Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1

Well, I own one of their well-reviewed class D amps, the ST250, and it makes my stereo rig sound like a really loud cell phone playing ringtones. Regardless of how their DAC actually sounds, I am sure that 6moons and Positive Feedback will gush about it almost as much as they gushed about the W4S amps and preamp.

It's not just me, then: there is a strong pro-California bias in their reviews?