The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Hmmmmm...risk of resistors flying all over the place might warrant doing it with the bigger, filament-crawling amp. At least if things go wrong, the fireworks are bigger.

You will be crying if a nice show would take out all those 1968's...

my heater beast of doom is nearing completion... swt61 got to catch a glimpse of it.

Lucky you... :( I've been too busy at work and fixing my backlog of headphones. Hell I still haven't found out what's wrong with the 007t...

You will be crying if a nice show would take out all those 1968's...

That's fine as long as I don't end up with glass in my ears...either way, I guess I will have to get me a shield of bullet-proof glass for testing purposes. That's not helping the costs...

Guys, can I improve upon the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7s in my 007tII?

Get in touch with Hirsch...he tube rolled that amp a lot. I think the best tubes are not what you'd expect...an inexpensive Japanese brand...what were they called?

Raytheon, maybe.... yeah Raytheon brand 6cg7.

Can't say that I've used EH though.

Get in touch with Hirsch...he tube rolled that amp a lot. I think the best tubes are not what you'd expect...an inexpensive Japanese brand...what were they called?

Raytheon, maybe.... yeah Raytheon brand 6cg7.

The best I found were Japanese tubes with a short "box" style plate. They are easily recognizable, as the plates only seem to fill half of the bottle. Some of these were rebranded by Raytheon, but not manufactured by them. I think the actual manufacturer was Toshiba, but it's possible that Toshiba also rebranded them from someone else.

US-made Raytheons have a full-size plate, and are sonically uninspired, IMO.

Is it really that messed up? :(

It's a very sick amp. With most of the channel replaced it still won't behave and some of the parts are impossible to find.

Guys, can I improve upon the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7s in my 007tII?

I'm with Hirsch on this one as the 60's Toshiba tubes are the best you can find... if you can find them. These were used in the SRA-3S back in 1968 and my stock was intended as replacements. They aren't for sale so don't ask...

Later models are virtually identical though and well worth it to track down. The signature short plates and often a bent top of the tip make them easy to find even if unmarked.

The US made tubes are good as well with Stax often shipping the amps with GE's installed.

I have those rebranded Raytheons and they are very good tubes with good dynamics and smooth and elegant sound. Much better than the GEs that came with the 007t. They are very smooth and warm from the upper midrange and up. Excellent tubes if you like that sound. I was also very pleased with for a time but the problem is that they tend to smooth out the music in a romantic way that not always comply wiht the essence of the music.

My EH gold pin tubes are probably not fully burned-in (about 50 hours with music) and I don't know yet if I like them better or less than the Rayteons. They are more extended in the top and probably also a little in the bottom (the latter is not easy because I simultanously installed tube dampers). They need much burn in and sound very harsh and unforgiving during a phase. EH are more nutral than Raytheon but still a little to the bright side. If they calm down a little more I think I prefer them to the Raytheon.

Tested with 007t, SR-404 and HE60.

It is worth keeping in mind that while you can state an opinion, so can anyone else who disagrees with you.

Just because it is generally believed that 'free speech' is important, this doesn't somehow make it all equally valid - questionable claims should require proof etc.

I just wanted to share my personal experience of the tubes, based on rather much listening with varying types of music, and not on a meet or something like that. Very shortly, that EH tubes are quite good and Raytheon lack in some aspects, in my experience and my system. In the beginning I was more positive to Raytheon, but still think it is very good.

dvse, you want proof! I have never seen any proof on Head-Case but tons of opinions.

Duggeh, you tweak it in quite another way. You say I am rude and therefore wrong. Next time I will be meek as a lamb and you have to accept the truth!

Anders, I think that you may have the wrong headphone forum. The "burn-in" forum is over there ->. Really, most tubes settle in 5 hours or so. Then they slowly get worse over time.

Huh?

Way back when on the other forum I posted impressions of a bunch of 12AT7 types for the MicroZOTL. I was moving as fast as I could to get a bunch of impressions up, but did wait on each tube set until I felt the sound had "stabilized" and I couldn't hear differences in brief listening sessions separated by at least an hour. None of the tubes had settled at five hours. Some started settling at 8-12 hours, and some took a day or two. It would not shock me if subtle changes occurred over longer periods, but that was not what I was listening for. I'm only citing periods where changes in sound were obvious and unmistakable.

When did the absence of tube burn-in become some sort of orthodoxy?