The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I had a chance to listen to KS with its tube amp earlier this week. The overall sound wasn't that bad, but I didn't quite like its bass. There's bass but it's different from Stax or mine DIY phones. It's rather difficult for me to describe it. But, I think the open area at the back side of the drivers is not enough or there is too much damping material. The bass just doesn't sound as "open".

I also don't like its headband. It's just too small for my head.

There are several issues with the Kingsounds, but I agree that something is wrong with the damping and area behind the drivers. 

Checking in again on the repair on my SRM-1.

Received the class N jfets from UTSource, desoldered both the old ones, diode tested the lot to get a balanced pair.

Soldered her in and voila, it's singing sweet tunes to me again.

Measured all voltage points and the sc1828's have gone up an extra 30vdc but measure consistently throughout the circuit.

Next step rebuild bias section.

@spritzer what resistor/diode did you use in your voltage divider to drop 600 b+ to pro bias mark?

Has anyone tried both colors of the ep007 earpads? I was wondering if the brown ones might be softer like the older version- the black ones are very firm. This seems to be both a blessing and a curse as I can seat the drivers farther away from my ear but it seems to negatively affect the efficacy of the seal (slightly).

I prefer to use a hammer but yeah, that is possible.  The problem with the Mk1 pads was the foam as it just didn't last long enough.  It would get too soft and then the pads were useless.  My Mk2 pads are fine after 5 years now though so a proper improvement for one from Stax. 

New electrostatic amp from Poland

Eurydice – Stereophonic tube amp dedicated to electrostatic high-class headphones

$T2eC16RHJHcFFkSLLElsBSDgeeg2wQ~~60_12.J

• Works with headphones:
    STAX PRO  (580V bias polar.)
    Sennheiser HE 90 (Orpheus) (500 V bias polar.)
  • Transmission band: 5 Hz-55 khz
  • Inputs: 2 switched RCA (XLR for special order)
  • Output voltage: 800V ss
  • Used tubes: 6SL7 (ECC 83 for special order), PL 841, 5W4.
  • Input sensitivity: 500 mV
  • THD unlinear distortions: <0,5% dla 100V ss,   <5% dla 800V ss
  • Signal to noise ratio: 86 dB
  • Input impedance: 50 kohm
  • Maximal power consumption: 140 W
  • Weight: 12 kg.
  • Dimensions: 31 x 34 x 21cm (Width/Depth/Height)
  • EUR 2.338,05
  • http://en.dubieltubeamps.pl/102/eurydice-stereophonic-tube-amp-dedicated-to-electrostatic-high-class-headphones/

• $(KGrHqVHJEIFI!hZDew)BSDgeZz4!Q~~60_12.J$T2eC16FHJHIFFhnk5)g1BSDgecHCeg~~60_12.J
  •  
Edited by complin

lol, thanks Birgir, I'm sorry I can't remember all the knowledge this thread provides. My fault for not searching it, though to be honest, I thought it was some bogus parameter, one of those which too many makers love to claim. Is it really possible to measure the ss voltage directly at the headphone?

My post reference was aimed at complin and not you.  :)  Now what we really could need at some good new Stax amps. 

The p-p figure is easy to determine based on the plate voltage and the tube parameters (Rp mostly) but that said, it doesn't really tell the whole story.  Most of these amps can't be adjusted for max voltage swing for the particular tubes installed so it can be a ways off. 

Speaking of whacky Stax amps... I've been cooking up a plan for a while now to make a tiny one.  Just got some boxes and they are 150x90x45mm (D, W, H) and I'm going to try and cram an Egmont in there...  Transformer and tubes on top but the rest has to be crammed in there.  XLR's are too big so this has to be RCA only...   :D

Actually I was going to ask if stax stocked things like replacement head assemblies so I could black it up...then I realized it would probably cost 40% of a mk1 pair through dealers. But my mk1's don't sound dark enough, so I don't see a better way to achieve this

You can buy the MK2 black parts like headband unit, but they say SR-007MK2 on the top of the leather part of the headband. Sorta like putting a Fiat badge on a 911 :police:

And the cable would still be brown.

This should be here, Kingsound M-10 internals:

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dsc_0425.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dsc_0426.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dsc_0427.jpg

Hello Stax SRA-12S/SRM-1 Mk1 clone done very badly.  B+ 588V and with a very stupid bass boost circuit.  Again the PCB is supposed to act as a heatsink, not the best idea in the world.  :palm:

You can buy the MK2 black parts like headband unit, but they say SR-007MK2 on the top of the leather part of the headband. Sorta like putting a Fiat badge on a 911 :police:

And the cable would still be brown.

You can still get the black MK1 headpad without 007 MK2 markings from Stax USA for the BL model but you have to ask for it.

And yes, the cable would still be brown.