PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

The Monkey

What Craig is using is a ground loop breaker similar to what AMB uses in his designs (see here, scroll down to "Ground loop breaker"). Connecting the signal ground directly to the earth in the mains wiring can lead to issues such as noise and ground loops so some use ground loop breakers which act as a barrier but will safely deal with something like a live wire touching the chassis etc. It's unlikely that this is causing any issues though, more likely the grounding in either the WES or the DAC. I'd still try to jumper it inside the amp and see what happens.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how does it sound?

It really sounds great. [snip] Beats my DLIII and Apogee mini-DAC.

I typed several paragraphs about my thoughts, but I decided not to post them because it's just not fun anymore having my impressions of gear dissected and beaten down. Besides, I started to drift off topic about how I don't want to spend more on analog if I can be happy with just a better transport for the PWD...

What Craig is using is a ground loop breaker similar to what AMB uses in his designs (see here, scroll down to "Ground loop breaker"). Connecting the signal ground directly to the earth in the mains wiring can lead to issues such as noise and ground loops so some use ground loop breakers which act as a barrier but will safely deal with something like a live wire touching the chassis etc. It's unlikely that this is causing any issues though, more likely the grounding in either the WES or the DAC. I'd still try to jumper it inside the amp and see what happens.

That's what Craig said - to look at the PWD, WES or my power center as the source of the issue (APC UPS, or Monster noise filter power strip). The reason we're thinking PWD is that the DLIII and Apogee mini-DAC didn't have hum with both amps connected, with all else being the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any further thoughts concerning the PWD's sound quality and use?

I love my Exemplar XD-1 DAC, but it doesn't allow Native for High Resolution files. I dislike having to put a High Resolution signal through the XD-1's SRC and having it converted to 96 or 192khz. The Bridge is also an interesting feature (If it ever appears).

I recently added a PS Audio PPP to my system and I like what it's done to the sound. I think that PS Audio makes some decent cost effective kit. It's just tough buying a fairly expensive DAC without hearing it first.

Maybe I'll try to borrow one first.

Any further thoughts concerning the PWD's sound quality and use?

I love my Exemplar XD-1 DAC, but it doesn't allow Native for High Resolution files. I dislike having to put a High Resolution signal through the XD-1's SRC and having it converted to 96 or 192khz. The Bridge is also an interesting feature (If it ever appears).

I recently added a PS Audio PPP to my system and I like what it's done to the sound. I think that PS Audio makes some decent cost effective kit. It's just tough buying a fairly expensive DAC without hearing it first.

Maybe I'll try to borrow one first.

The PWD has raised my whole rig to a whole new level of realism and refinement. Finally, for the first time my rig sounds like the ones I would hear at CanJam and wondered what I was missing that their rig had.

I'm excited by the fact that there are even more improvements to be made if I wanted or could afford it, but I wouldn't even know what the next noticeable step up would be in a DAC. I've been listening to the loaner Luxman P-1u amp since the weekend, and I can more easily hear the differences in comparing amps when the PWD is my source than when I substitute a lesser DAC in it's place. The "source first" guys may be on to something after all. I still would love to own a P-1u though, as the treble is just a little sweeter than with my ZDT/Sylvania gold pin 5751. Time to tube roll again... :D

Maybe someone will have a PWD at CanJam, and you could get a listen to one there?