Volcanic eruption here in Iceland

spritzer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are quite safe over here but a friend of the family lives just beneath the volcano. He's been evacuated and will not be able to return until the flooding has stopped. There is a massive flood on its way down from the mountains now, the second today and we can only hope the levies will hold or the damage could be quite bad. The water and electric supply for the Vestmann islands is situated not far from there and so is the spot where we are building a new ferry harbor for the islands which could all be washed away. The islands have seen their own fair share of volcanic activity...

While the volcanic activity has caused little damage here it is bad news indeed for Norway. With a south-western wind today all the ash has been blown towards Norway and could ground all flights there tomorrow and for even longer. It damages the aircraft engines so nobody can fly near the stuff. It also means all flights from here to Norway, Sweden, Denmark are all canceled until further notice.

...DIY a plasma headphone...

Why are you giving me such ideas... :palm: I wonder if could make that the ultimate DIY project nr.3. :cool:

Not all eruptions are necessarily a bad thing. Quite the contrary if the damage is minimal. Think of it in terms of sex...better to have medium sized eruptions at semi-regular intervals, than to have it build up for long periods of time and blow one giant wadd.

Things are certainly getting bad since there are now directives for everybody outdoors to wear masks due to the ash. :-\ There are also indicators that two other volcano's might open up soon which could cause devastation to farming on both sides of the Atlantic. Not good... not good at all.

Damn, that is looking pretty worrisome. My wife was scheduled to fly out of Heathrow today, but her work schedule changed last week and she got a re-routed flight out of Amsterdam instead. She is flying as we speak! Lucky for us, otherwise it would have taken some last minute shuffling of schedules.

Lets hope that disruption to air travel is as bad as it gets. A massive eruption ruining farm yields is far worse.

_47652360_ash.jpg

There are now 600,000 people who were supposed to, and now can't, fly out of the UK. I'd assume similar for the inbound numbers.

it's still a proven phenomenon. Big ash clouds lower the global temperature by 1-2 degrees for up to 2 years

Yes indeed, much like in 1816 (the year of no summer) but the end result is more CO2 in the atmosphere. Good that we are such a "green" country then... :D

Yep, different temporal scales for the effects.

I'm not nearly as worried about the warming part of global warming as I am the possibility of climate shift and an impending ice age, especially being this close to the gulf stream. Though, if I was near a fault line right now, I'd probably be more worried about the immediate future.