Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

Got the Gator in the mail today and it is much nicer in person (and I *love* the olive color). Vicki mentioned that it was the perfect size for a gym bag and she was right... it is the perfect size (for me). Looks like the Sunchaser will be only getting used when I need to carry the squash or tennis racquet.

A picture next to the Sunchaser, Tom Bihn ID, and Tom Bihn (small Cafe bag) which I had in my office.

Tlphm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been loving the Red Oxx bags on my trip, except for the strap. I had meant to buy Tom Bihn Absolutes but forgot. With the Sunchaser crammed with heavy stuff (museum books, camera stuff, etc.) the rubber strap leaves a lasting impression -- in my flesh! I should have done a shirtless pic during the manathon just to show what I mean. Anyway, the bags are great and the few times I have to transition from place to place are just a bit more of a little workout when you have no wheels. The Gator has been a fantastic day bag for camera, guide books, umbrella, water bottles, hat and sweater, and I like it way more than I expected. Red Oxx Rules!

Totally agree with the Red Oxx props. I used the Air Boss, Sunchaser, Gator and Rockhopper for our 3 week trip to SC. The Air boss worked great for taking the clothes for the two weeks we were in Aiken. The Sunchaser was great for the trip down and back and the camping weekend at Myrtle Beach. I switched the Tom Bihn absolute strap from the Air Boss to the Sunchaser, which worked extremely well. I will be picking up another absolute strap for the Sunchaser. The gator is my daily carry so it carried around the MBA, iPad, S95 and Pico/HDD or combinations thereof. I was really surprised how useful the Rockhopper was. It made a most excellent beach bag and a great general walking-about-and-exploring bag. Karen even commented that the Rockhopper was a great bag, which is high praise indeed as she is not a bag junkie like us. Red Oxx FTMFW!

I am trying to figure out what bags to use for Maui. I was thinking of using the Gator/Mountainsmith Cube for a Camera/Ipad bag but I may go with a Think tank Digital Holster + Pro Speed Belt for the camera so I don't have to have so much weight on one shoulder when hiking. Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to check some bags and I am not so keen on checking any of the Tom Bihn and Red Oxx bags (because of the way they treat them). I may take the Sun Chaser on board with some clothes in case of lost luggage. It should also be good for taking to the beach. I don't know why I am writing this, I guess I am just thinking "outloud."

Oh yeah, the Absolute Strap so really so much better than the Claw.

Air Boss easily holds two weeks worth of clothes, which is what I used it for this trip.

The Claw, indeed. Not sure what they were thinking with that strap design. I will be ordering three absolute straps upon return home. Bihn fanboys rejoice! I seriously have tons of stuff in the Sunchaser and it weighs down like lead, but the bag is rock solid and I have no fear of damage to zippers, etc. It just tears up my shoulder to use the strap so I carry it by the handles.

And Shelly, I checked the Air Boss to Berlin including a plane change with no visible signs of damage whatsoever, and will be checking that and th Sunchaser on the way home. I should have done that going to Europe but I was not savvy. I don't think you should be afraid to check them.

Edited by Voltron

• 2 weeks later...

Need a bag recommendation for a week long vacation. I have the Aeronaut, which is perfect for a weekend. I was thinking of an Oxx Flying Boxcar but that is smaller than the Aeronaut (2700 v. 2400). I am assuming that if I bought another Aeronaut or the Boxcar, that I could not carry both on a plane so I am stuck with either something too big to carry on or something bigger than either the A'naut or Boxcar that I can bring on a plane. Knowing Gail, she will probably be checking a bag anyway so I may consider an Oxx Sherpa Jr. I guess a Beanos is a possibility as well but I assume that is took big for an overhead. Any ideas?

Mike ... the Beanos PR5 or Flying Boxcar both are 2400 cu in and are carry on - choose by weather you want outside pockets on ends (Beanos) or side (Boxcar). I would wager that you can stuff either with as much or more than the Aeronaut can hold.

I easily make do for two weeks with Sky Train plus Sun Chaser. The Sun Chaser will easily fit under seat, and Sky Train in overhead, which you could do with Aeronaut + Sun Chaser. The Sun Chaser can be stuffed and stuffed with lots of stuff, even though it specs out at just 1539 cu in. It is ideal for shoes, underwear, sweaters, jeans, etc, etc, and the outside pockets are very handy.

Edited by agile_one

• 2 months later...

I bought nothing but Tumi up until a year ago. The quality seemed to be getting markedly lower and the ever decreasing warranty was problematic. The last straw was the Townhouse line laptop bag ($595) that I am carrying now that is falling apart after less than a year of basic use.

Marc: Are you looking for a carryon or bag to check? I bet Red Oxx Air Boss or Aeronaut plus "personal item" for non-clothing items might be good enough for your needs. The Air Boss can hold a lot of stuff since it expands more than the Aeronaut but doesn't have backpack straps. If you are interested, I can pack some clothes in them for you to see.

That's disheartening Jeff. I had been considering a basic Alpha briefcase again. I wonder if those are still ok.

I think the Alpha is still pretty much indestructible but it does still have a much worse warranty than it had just a few years ago.

I didn't know you wanted to check the bag. I was suggesting doing something like the AirBoss for clothes and toiletries (Al and Jim have used it for 2 weeks worth of clothing I believe - see previous posts) and a *smaller* laptop bag for stuff like papers/laptop, stuff you may need for business (like Tom Bihn ID or maybe something smaller). I have carried an Aeronaut (with two packing cubes in the middle section) + Tom Bihn ID successfully for week long trips with no problem. Of course, I am slightly smaller than you so my clothes may take up less space. I think it really depends what you plan on taking. The reason I suggested the Air Boss is that I think it might be better if you are packing things like suit jackets. It can also probably hold more than the Aeronaut since Cordura seems to expand more whereas the Aeronaut really keeps its shape.

I cannot really help out with wheeled suggestions since all the wheelies I have are pretty crappy and cheap.