i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

A question for Kevin or Spritzer

I read there was an extensive mod to the 727 that included boards out and transistor swops, and was set out by Kevin.

Have you a link to the post please, I can't find it.

Did it succeed in bringing the 727 close to a KGSShv i.e. a big jump in sound quality, or was it just bringing it closer to the older 717?

Thanks in advance guys, I know you are busy on multiple projects!

Go back to HF, we don't need your annoying bs here.

Now for something new as this one was just fired up:

FbpZjCWh.jpg

82fPn1Fh.jpg

This was done as an exercise by me to see just how small we could make a stereo KGSSHV board and to do one that used only in production parts.  On Semi had something to say about that though... :palm:

A question for Kevin or Spritzer

I read there was an extensive mod to the 727 that included boards out and transistor swops, and was set out by Kevin.

Have you a link to the post please, I can't find it.

Did it succeed in bringing the 727 close to a KGSShv i.e. a big jump in sound quality, or was it just bringing it closer to the older 717?

Thanks in advance guys, I know you are busy on multiple projects!

Please keep this stupidity on HF where it belongs.  You don't have even the slightest clue what you are talking about. 

Now for something new as this one was just fired up:

FbpZjCWh.jpg

82fPn1Fh.jpg

This was done as an exercise by me to see just how small we could make a stereo KGSSHV board and to do one that used only in production parts.  On Semi had something to say about that though... :palm:

Please keep this stupidity on HF where it belongs.  You don't have even the slightest clue what you are talking about. 

Sorry Spritzer, I didn't mean to offend. I read a post on head-fi and wanted to see if it existed anywhere in posts?:

The mod n3rdling referenced was a mod Kevin Gilmore came up with. He himself has indicated it essentially turns the 727 into a lower powered KGSSHV.

I just remembered, I sent a guy I know in the UK over to you to buy one of your KGSShv's. I want to promote the DIY community, not wind folk up,

and I have bought DIY stat gear and been on these forums a while. Pity I seem to get attacked (rather unfairly). I think I also offered to help you on your website

for free, though you were covered anyway on that. I love this hobby, but don't understand the politics, maybe I will just bail.

Sorry Spritzer, I didn't mean to offend. I read a post on head-fi and wanted to see if it existed anywhere in posts?:

The mod n3rdling referenced was a mod Kevin Gilmore came up with. He himself has indicated it essentially turns the 727 into a lower powered KGSSHV.

Think it was either the 717 or 727 cannot remember off the top of my head can be modded to a 350v limited "low power" kgsshv. Antonyfist (Tony) was the first to mod his with helpful instructions on the procedure from K.G. You can PM him on head-fi or email him but he is not very active on that site.

Edited by DefQon

Cool build. Have you managed to get it silent in the this version? Does the 2sc4686 still count as an in production part?  :angel:

This build is meant to be +/-400V max so FJPF2145 works perfectly as the output device. 

Spritzer, one more question: I assume this means the Gerbers posted for the KGSSHVstereo are fine as-is and no changes are required? 

//UFN

Kevin handles that side so I have no idea.  Should be fine... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I was wondering what is the purpose of a balanced stereo pot (e.g. how are they different).

I noticed some people use balanced stereo units like the ALPS RK27114, and a few have upgraded to the RK50 which is stereo. When selecting a pot or attenuator, how important is it to choose balanced stereo models? The inputs are XLR (if that makes a difference).

In the Stax 717 amp (and maybe others) there is a volume bypass control switch. Would turning a pot or stepped attenuator to the maximum achieve the same effect? I'm worried that turning the volume up will clip the amp. 

I have the Stax 717. The volume pot bypass switch makes the 717 act like a power amplifier i.e. the output level is determined by the input signal from your source.

Before setting the switch you MUST ensure you have a source that has a volume level control be it a PC output or a pre-amplifier. The input to the 717 should not exceed

around 2 volts. If you try it and you have correct level listening at about 12 o'clock it is fine. The bypass does improve the SQ as it misses out the losses in the pot.