Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

Thanks all for the welcome! I guess this site is a bit intimidating for posting because of the wild behavior so I kept quiet until I felt there really was something to add to the conversation...

I'm pretty sure Stax doesn't "voice" things. Unless by voice you mean makes things that sound fucking awesome.

Well, frankly. This was exactly my feeling when listening to the new headphone! Absolutely nothing sounded wrong / off. Loads of resolution without sounding hi-fi like only electrostats can do it. Just moar better than anything I heard from Stax before!

Oh well, enough daydreaming, we're still a long way until spring / summer 2011.........

Edited by arnaud
sp.

Welcome to the home of the Mafia. :) I had a hunch with the SR-507 that they moved onto a thicker diaphragm again since they never mention it. They came up with the BS that "thinner = moar better!" so every time they move to a thicker diaphragm they don't say anything. Try to find any info on the diaphragm used in the Nova series anywhere... :D

I'm pretty sure Stax doesn't "voice" things. Unless by voice you mean makes things that sound fucking awesome.

Indeed, all talk of burn-in, voicing etc. is the crap distributors spew. Any character you can hear is there because of the technology used and that's why some of the headphones can sound "off" because things just don't gel together. Sometimes you get benefits in one area and then something else lets it all down.

The SRM-T2 also shows the Stax engineers know exactly what the headphones need to perform properly but something like that simply can't be built on a budget.

One interesting bit, the set they had at the meet uses the new silver plated cable but the one in the video has the old, all copper cable...

Are the engineers who designed the T2 still involved in the company?

Yup, he's the son of the founder and he also designed the solid state power amps back in the day for the electrostatic speakers. Those could easily weld the speaker cables together if you are so inclined... :)

One interesting bit, the set they had at the meet uses the new silver plated cable but the one in the video has the old, all copper cable...

Yup, he's the son of the founder and he also designed the solid state power amps back in the day for the electrostatic speakers. Those could easily weld the speaker cables together if you are so inclined... :)

Dmax1.jpg

If Stax leave the crazy region of something like the T2 behind and expand on what they have been doing with the SS amps as of late they could come of with something that stands up to the Blue Hawaii and at a similar price. Now the 2SA1968 is dead so they would have to use something like the 10M90 which coupled with some nice tubes and the SRM-T1/006t/007t driver stage wouldn't be a terrible idea. Now no tube in current production is as excellent for this role as the 6S4A but the first T2 prototype was allegedly something along these lines.

arnaud your description sounds sort of like an SR-Omega, have you heard one of those?

Unfortunately no. I am a late comer... I mocked around for many years, first with loudspeakers, then electro-dynamic headphones until I realized the Stax sound was really what I needed once I had a proper source and some decent recordings to listen to!

For long, I did not like Stax gear to be honnest, dismissing it for lacking punch and such and being overpriced. But interestingly, the HD800 brought me to the Stax! For instance, the level of detail you get from the HD800 is very good, we can say excellent. Yet, once you compare side by side, you realize it does not have the finesse of Omega 2, at least not until you spend very significant amount of money on the amplification. Pricewise, the newer dynamic cans are thus getting closer and closer to Omega 2 territory so this also faciitates the jump over...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...