Beyerdynamic T5p

Dusty Chalk

Actually, I don't think it works that way. If the answer is zero, than it's probably fair to assume that you're straight, particularly if you have no desire whatsoever for that number to change to anything other than zero. If the answer is one or more, then it's probably fair to assume that you're gay. If you have to have sex with 300 men in order to determine whether or not you're gay, then I'm pretty sure you're gay.

What if you have sex with 299 men?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, I don't think it works that way. If the answer is zero, than it's probably fair to assume that you're straight, particularly if you have no desire whatsoever for that number to change to anything other than zero. If the answer is one or more, then it's probably fair to assume that you're gay. If you have to have sex with 300 men in order to determine whether or not you're gay, then I'm pretty sure you're gay.

That's just my point actually...You don't need to have sex with a man to determine your heterosexuality. Perhaps my sarcasm didn't come through.

I dunno. I had a pair of DT-880s for awhile; got em from jeff (VPI). Nice midrange. Yes, a bit bass shy, and a bit bright. But very clear. And very comfortable. They had a number of qualities that I preferred over say HD-650s.

A lot of this postulating somewhat depends on the idea of a house sound. I'm not sure that all manufacturers have or attain one throughout their product line. And I agree with posty on the aardvark comment. Some of these threads start to take on the very qualities that we deem shovel worthy from others.

I dunno. I had a pair of DT-880s for awhile; got em from jeff (VPI). Nice midrange. Yes, a bit bass shy, and a bit bright. But very clear. And very comfortable. They had a number of qualities that I preferred over say HD-650s.

Yep, I had a pair of the DT-880-600 and thought they were a pretty good all around phone. I finally got rid of them because I had a bunch of other phones that did Specific things better. None were as good an all around phone IMO. That being said, I never cared for the DT-770.

Count me in the camp of "don't judge until you hear it". The T1 didn't seem too bad when I heard it briefly, and I see no reason to assume this will sound anything like a DT770 or whatever.

And I'm really not feeling the gay sex analogy. It doesn't parallel this scenario. A more fitting analogy would be passing judgement based on someone's nationality. If you met 10 Frenchmen and all of them are assholes, would you naturally expect the 11th to be an asshole? You might, but it wouldn't really be fair. Even if you met 90% of all Frenchmen in the world, and they were all assholes, can one assume that of the others? :P

All this Beyer interpolation has inspired me to dig out my 'dynamics. I have a stock pair of 2003 880s and a balanced pair of 2005 880s. Generally speaking, muchly-unloved cans on H-C (which is true for most of my collection, come to think.) I haven't listened to either pair of 880s in several years at this point, a fact I attribute more to me owning too many cans than my taste for either one. TBH, I basically never detach my 650s from my HRBD nor do I remove my 590s from my GLite. Maybe I only need two "serious" fullsize cans, with the rest being for DJing or field recording.

TL;DR: IMMA CHARGIN MAH BEYERS!*

PBG4w.jpg

*Would I had those rare Beyer stats, then this would actually be true.

...no need to be mean.
This, coming from the guy with the shovel.
What if you have sex with 299 men?
Still gay.
298?
Still gay.
297?
Still gay.

2?
Ummm...at the same time? Doesn't matter, yes, still gay.
1?
Letmethinkabouthatforasecondyesstillgay.
That's just my point actually...You don't need to have sex with a man to determine your heterosexuality. Perhaps my sarcasm didn't come through.
Nope, not at all. I mean, if you read it with the understanding that full sarcasm was on, then it completely undermines your point you were trying to make.

And thank you atothex, that was exactly my point.

And for the record -- I don't really care -- I mean, I did, but I'm over it now. It's not like I designed or made or even own the headphones, I just get real tired of being able to predict how this crowd is going to respond to certain things, plus or negative, irrespective of whether or not that opinion is well-founded. And yeah, it's the disagreement right there -- the fact that we can't all agree on whether or not other headphones from this company sound good -- that makes me believe that the question, is or isn't there just plain good sound? The answer is no, there isn't. People hear things differently.

I mean, if it's justified, like the next Headamp amp (that would be one of the "plusses"), then yeah, sure, I'll be right there with you.

But if you really don't know -- I mean, does AKG have a house sound? I would dare say, "no". How many headphones would you have to listen to then, before you can start predicting what the next one would sound like? I would dare say, you wouldn't.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I just get real tired of being able to predict how this crowd is going to respond to certain things...

then don't worry about it. we'll all be good. hc fam for life. ::hits chest::

seriously i do appreciate you calling folks out on their shit, its what friends do. and i know you only do it because you care about this place. having said that you do freak out a little bit in your calling out sometimes. :) i don't mind the freak out at all, its just what i perceive.

and personally I give any headphone a shot. Hell I gave the Ed. 9 a shot, and that was deep in the Ultrasone HC hate game. Through lots of study, experience, and I'd like to think at least somewhat of a natural predisposition, I'd like to believe I've learned a little (a little!) about good sound. And I've consistently found myself surprised to have my preconceptions based on reviews proven wrong through actual listening experience. So I will always give a can a solid, honest shot, and not just so I can gleefully rip upon it later on the internet. I do it because I might just find something unique and cool I really enjoy, that maybe everybody else doesn't.

All the constant beyer slagging puts a huge smile on my face, not because I disagree but because I think beyer actually put out one of the best phones ever with the ET1000. It's prolly still the best stat I've heard to date and beats nearly everything else out there for me. They got it so right with the ET and so wrong with most since then. Not heard the tesla range yet though.

Beyer fan or no, what I suspect the problem will be is that the cans will be half again as expensive as they should be. That said, I really like the idea of high end closed cans that don't end in "-sone."

I don't really see much point for it to be honest, assuming this is a 'walking around' phone. I like the T1, but why would you want a sweatier pair of phones given that walking around with it, you will look like you have two coconut halves on your head, not to mention one of the heaviest 'portables' out there? The Ultrasones are much more 'socially acceptable'.

I concur with swt61 for the T1's sound. Which is why it appears to be a keeper I guess. The fact that it might cost ~$400 or so more than it should (in which case e.g. an RS-1i should be $350 [mainly for the wood]) is neither there nor here with me - the fact that there is a quantifiable improvement over the HD650, certainly my reference 'sane' dynamic, made the choice quite easy.

I have the T1s in at the moment in the lab, along with my HD800s, running out of a Luxman L-505u. I have to say, they're pretty darn good to my ears, and I generally can't stand Beyer highs. Can't the point of a portable version of a full-sized phone which is sized identically to the full-size phone, but Beyer's branding of late seems to have been influenced by Nestle: many flavours of the same basic design. No doubt the T1s would be a better proposition at 899.00, which is where they ought to be priced, but they obviously figure on maintaining demand even at the current 1295.00 retail. I wouldn't say they're bland exactly -- very quick and detailed, good texture on cellos and drums, etc. In some ways I prefer their presentation to that of the 800s.

k