Noise canceling headphones for portable DVD player

postjack

• 6 years later...
19 minutes ago, grawk said:

notice how none of those reviews mentions the noise cancellation that only emphasizes continuous noise, while allowing all other sound through?  I am very aware of inner fidelity :)

Is there such a thing in a consumer facing product?

Thanks, TMoney.

7 hours ago, n_maher said:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jbl-everest-elite-700-wireless-noise-canceling-over-ear-headphones

I personally don't find that any full-sized headphones isolate enough to be useful in terms of noise reduction so for non-IEMs I'd say active noise cancelling is the way to go.

Yeah, I guess that's what I was getting at -- the DT770 did pretty well, but not as well as an IEM, so I'm seriously considering going over to fully active noise cancelling.

Didn't there used to be a Sony in that list?  

I'll go for the JBL, that's priced right for me.

Thanks, Nate.

• Like 1

I got involved with noise cancellation at one stage

US5018203A.pdf

In the late 80's noise cancellation was in its infancy. So while I was working on that I found that Dick Rutan's round the world Voyager airplane used noise cancelling phones. So I phoned them up in the Mojave - and instantly got through to Dick Rutan. He told me that they were using an experimental Bose system, but that they broke around ten hours into the 9 day flight.

I also had a natty idea for enhancing the sound attenuation of double-glazed windows. The idea was to sense the sound pressure inside the cavity and use a transducer to servo that to zero (or as close to as possible). But a patent search revealed that someone else got there first. But no such system has been made available to my knowledge. 

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

.... don't want to spend 8-ish hours/day wearing IEMs, so want the best non-Boses.

I spend about 4-6 hours of my day at work with my ETY's in.. a lot of the time with nothing playing. I am a big fan of isolation, and I know that IEMs are not for everyone, but they do the trick. 

(in they go -> goodbye cruel world)

• Like 1

Back when I last worked in a cubicle environment (2010), I found that ear buds (PK2) worked well for me.  The music was not audible to my neighbors.  I was isolated well from normal room noise and yet could easily deal when somebody wanted my attention.

Edit: Please note that I had music playing all the time.

Edited by guzziguy
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 1:04 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

I'll go for the JBL, that's priced right for me.

So the JBLs I ordered got canceled, so before I ordered them again from a different vendor, I investigated more fully something I stumbled upon in the interim:  my Walkman has a noise-canceling feature built-in!  It's designed for propietary Sony headphones, but none of them are of the caliber of the MDR-Z7.  I tried some Focals I happened to have on hand, but it amplified external noise rather than canceling it, so I presume the polarity is inverted, does that sound right?  I already contacted Sony, and they don't have an adapter so that I can use the MDR-Z7, so I'm thinking of buying a cheap pair of the noise-canceling for their microphones and hacking it for my use case.

Thoughts?

Or should I just order another pair of noise-canceling headphones of my choice?

• 2 weeks later...