Monster on the prowl again.

Tyll Hertsens

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to post this a couple weeks ago. Lefsetz had an item about discounted Beats (as opposed to counterfeit ones, I suppose). Lefsetz said it was killing the brand. The next day, Dre's manager responds. OK fine. But there were some very odd bits. The part that freaks me out is where he says that Beats from different factories sound different and he doesn't seem to mind. WTF? Maybe he misspoke. Maybe the market has become an alternate universe. Maybe Dre's hometown is an alternate universe.

Some excerpts:

"We got young people interested in sound quality once again."

[big snip]

There are multiple sets of Beats headphones, and they all sound a bit different,

they've got ten producers around the world who tweak the sound as to their

liking. As for the sound curve, Jimmy emphasized that Beats headphones were made

for modern music, the music of today.

Jimmy said I'M AN AUDIO FREAK! He said he's got five sets of Tannoys, he shows

up in the studio with Brystons. He took six weeks to get the sound right on a

single track on "Damn The Torpedoes." And Dre puts in the same effort.

"When we started this, they said no one will pay for sound again."

Jimmy's right about that. And like a true rock and roller, he wouldn't take no

for an answer.

"Our goal is to get kids to go from earbuds to headphones."

And he's done a good job of that.

"It's our version of studio sound."

Good question. I took it to mean ten manufacturers with license to produce whatever floats their boat. Are there sub-genres of Beats? Like a Dr Dre/ Phil Spector edition? (Everything sounds like it was recorded in a prison shower) or Dr Dre/Ke$ha edition (no sound at all, but they prevent social disease) I have to admit I don't keep up with that product line as well as I should.

• 4 months later...

The gift that keeps on giving.......

(It's from the Wall St Journal. It hadn't been up long enough to use Google to beat the pay wall when I posted. In a few hours, Googling the headline should do the trick.)

Dr. Dre in Trademark “Beat”-Down By Jacob Gershman

OB-WP230_dre_D_20130306163031.jpg Getty Images

Last week we learned you could trademark “Jesus.” Here’s another trademark dustup that doesn’t involve a religious figure, but a legendary rapper.

Beats Electronics, a maker of high-end headphones, speakers and audio software co-founded by rapper-turned-entrepreneur Dr. Dre, is carrying out its own trademark crusade.

The company, which operates a flagship store in downtown Manhattan and sells headphones under the brand Beats By Dr. Dre, has been challenging applicants attempting to register “beat” or “beats” as a trademark, even ones not selling headphones and using the term in combination with other words. . . . .

Edited by CarlSeibert

• 1 month later...