What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Last night's drinks:

Triomphe Cocktail for my friend as suggested by Al.

3/2 oz Luksusawa Vodka

3/4 oz Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Green Chartreuse (recipe called for yellow chartreuse)

1/2 oz Simple Syrup

Shake well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon peel.

Very yummy :)

5039a.jpg

Peralta for me - really really good

3/4 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye

3/4 oz Cynar

3/4 Green Chartreuse

1/2 oz grapefruit juice

1/4 oz lemon juice

1 dash Angostura bitters

2BTgv.jpg

That sounds like a good drink and an excellent substitution. Many pre-prohibition cocktails originally called for Boker's bitters but Angostura bitters was substituted when Boker's was no longer produced. You can pretty much substitute the Bokers for Angostura and should probably up the amount as Angostura is a stronger bitter.

Al's Remember the Maines looked so good the other night that I decided to follow suit tonight. Though my glass is nt nearly as nice.

1a2a5cf7.jpg

Too many cocktails last night with Al at Smuggler's Cove followed by Jaspers. The former is a Tiki bar with the largest rum collection I've ever seen and innovative ingredients like nerves of steel and monkey brains.

Here is one Rum that Al tried that took them a good 15 minutes to find and the another 5 to remember to pour :)

a6cd89e6-a50d-25ab.jpg

St. Nicholas Abbey - Barbados

Beautiful drinks in some lovely glassware Shelly and Jim! smile.png I don't remember making the Peralta before and it looks/sounds great. Adding to the list.

Marc is right, there were lots of notable features and interesting ingredients at Smuggler's Cove. I can't believe he didn't mention the Hellfire Tincture and the Pine Tree liqueur or whatever that was. Good stuff.

Chris, we got the Barbados rum in your honor and I toasted the health of your child in the womb. Glad you know that rum (and even its makers), and kind of figured you would. I really enjoyed it. They say they have 300 rums, some of which are in the vault for special initiates and celebrities only. I got the tasting card with the first 20 needed to join the Rumbustion Society as a Disciple of the Cove, but the St. Nicholas was not on it so it didn't count. Oh well, better go back again sometime....

Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen just recently opened in Union Square and is a nice simple layout without a lot of pretension. Their gimmick is good beer and beer cocktails, but they don't take it too seriously, and their cocktail list is nicely put together. We were assisted by the man running the bar, Kevin Diedrich, who just left another hot SF spot, The Burritt Room, and he was helpful and very cool. I started with a Belgian Sucker Punch, which I think was Duvel Green, Plymouth Gin and a bit of lemon/lemon wheel. It tasted like a beer, but the sucker punch is the extra kick from the gin. It was fine but Marc's Weissen Sour -- a whiskey sour with bourbon and then a floater of Hoegarden wheat beer -- was very tasty although it should have come with a stirrer or straw so that Marc would not have slurped off most of the beer in his first sip. Marc said he was interested in trying something with the Gran Classico bitters, so Kevin poured us a taste and then whipped up something with it. I can't recall what it was but it was tasty. I had a rye/applejack/benedictine/yellow chartreuse drink from their menu called a Grand Promenade and it was great.

The last feature of our evening was meeting Camper English, a cocktail blogger found at http://www.alcademics.com/. He sat down near us and was chatting with Kevin. His article about Jasper's was where I heard about it and got curious. He was pleasant enough and we chatted about the menu and his impending trip to Poland to check out Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka's distillery. It was fun to rub elbows with the cocktail cognoscenti.

Come to town more often, HC cocktailians!

Edited by Voltron

Back on the Bain's.

Bains-Cape-Mountain-whisky-pack-shot-LR.jpg

Getting quite a taste for this. Helps that it's 1/3 the price of import single malts. Apparently also won "gold" for the last two years running at the International Wine and Spirit Competition -- though I have no idea if that's a legit event or another "pay money, get medal" industry marketing circlejerk.

Anyhoo, this is what the critics said:

Complex yet refined nose with sweet corn, raisin, apple and pear aromas. Hints of vanilla and barley sugar . Excellent, clean, lively entry into the mouth with sweet grain firmness and beautiful balance. Just a touch of balancing oak. Feather light and elegant yet powerfully determined. Full fruited finish. Satisfying and very drinkable.

I would have to agree that it is making excellent, clean, lively entry into my own gob.